No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed on Whitefriars id ID = Whitefriars  (Read 3483 times)

Offline CultureVulture

• Members
Help needed on Whitefriars id ID = Whitefriars
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »
Hello,
I have this heavy bowl. 7 inch diameter rim 8.75 inch widest diameter 5.5 inch tall. Weighs 2.2 Kilogram. Sapphire blue polished pontil base. I submitted it to another site and got a 50/50 vote by two people as to whether it was Whitefriars. The person who voted yes told me that he had one of them but a different version and that it was listed in the Museum of London archives and hed seen the drawing via one of the ppl who work there. Its not catalogued in any the available Whitefriars catalogues online. I tried asking more about it in their forumn but no replies. Can anyone shed more light on it.

T.I.A for any help whatsoe :)ver

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Help needed on Whitefriars id
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:47:34 AM »
CV — Is It Whitefriars is an interesting forum.   I try to avoid it as an initial step in identifying glass as it looks as if you are being hopeful that your find is Whitefriars, rather than looking for an ID in a neutral way.   Also if it turns out not to be W/F you have to do it all again for the GMB, and I'm slow and error prone on the keyboard and don't like wasting my time by doing the same thing twice.   Quite naturally Is It Whitefriars has a higher proportion of single glassworks devotee commentators than the GMB, which can be both an advantage and a disadvantage, and might very occasionally produce different results.

Here's the link to your query.   I had to smile when I read it.   You certainly will not get any more "NO" votes after that contribution by Nigel.   Attributions don't get any better than that, which is almost as good as having the original W/F label on the bowl.

Thanks for putting it on the GMB.   Most useful information, which I for one might have missed.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Help needed on Whitefriars id
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »
That it is not in the catalogues may mean that this bowl was produced exclusively for a special order rather than general sale.

Offline CultureVulture

• Members
Re: Help needed on Whitefriars id ID = Whitefriars
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 06:11:01 PM »
Thankyou for your help. There are alot of hairline scratched on the inside of the base maybe this is an indication of its age. I was wondering whether to leave it as it is or have it polished? Im probably looking to sell on.

Offline CultureVulture

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »
Hello, did any my question about the scratching ..i think my message dissappeared

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
Hello,

The 'person' on W/F's dot com was me. My version is cut and from the 1930's. I thought what I said on W/F's dot com was fairly explicit. The drawing for my bowl is held in the MoL archive.

Since yours is my one's blank, I would venture to suggest that it must be Whitefriars/Powell.

The person who voted 'No' on W/F's dot com's 'Is it?' must not have the experience, or knowledge, required for an informed view on the bowl - or else they just looked through the catalogues that are available online, which ain't all of them  ;)

Nigel

PS. As for polishing, that is a decision that any dealer (or collector) in glass has to make regularly and depends on the individual's outlook. N.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:28:22 PM »
The person who voted yes told me that he had one of them but a different version and that it was listed in the Museum of London archives and hed seen the drawing via one of the ppl who work there. Its not catalogued in any the available Whitefriars catalogues online.

Hi,
 The original design can be found in the factory design book for 1931-35.

It is pattern number 8985 and the design shows cutting but your bowl and probably Nigel's has none.

Regards,
              Patrick.       (Image shown by permission of the Museum of London.)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:43:47 PM »
Hmmm. seems to be one of those mnights when people don't read what is written :o

your bowl and probably Nigel's has none.

Patrick, when I say my bowl is cut then that is what I mean...........just like the image you have supplied :o and the image that Ian Price showed me, and which I referred to on 'Is it?'. You have even handled the bowl I have :huh:

Nigel

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 09:53:30 PM »
Hi Nigel,
     Yes tired and old age............................   Apologies.

Designed by Barnaby Powell 1934.

Regards,
               Patrick.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 10:03:29 PM »
Hello, did any my question about the scratching ..i think my message dissappeared

No, no-one replied, neither did your message disappear, it was just moved from Glass to British and Irish now we know what it is. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand