No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed on Whitefriars id ID = Whitefriars  (Read 3499 times)

Offline CultureVulture

• Members
Re: Help needed on Whitefriars id ID = Whitefriars
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »
Thankyou, This information is amazing.

Offline CultureVulture

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
I apologise for my absence and like to thank everyone for this help. You must have had that feeling when you find a bowl or piece like this and you know that youve got something but dont and cant find the information anywhere on it. Once you get a tiny bit of info on "you get the buzz" and you want to know  more. Thats why i came here and no offence to Nigel your words on wf were of great news. trust me i was "buzzing" when i read your WF reply and the reply did serve its purpose.  Then i settled and thought what can i find out next about it. Thankyou Nigel and thankyou Patrick for putting the diagram up. I think one day when im not so busy looking for glass ill give the Museum of London a try.

So now the curiosity kicks back in if its a blank of what would or should have then been cut, why? Did someone make one smooth, did they make many smooth, or was it say an example to work from to blow the bowl before cutting.
If someone ordered it smooth in 1934 it must have looked strange along side there other pieces futuristic even.
Thanks anyway.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:56:53 PM »

Hi,

I used the term 'blank' really to exaggerate the difference between the two bowls. It is more than likely that the uncut piece is/was the norm and the the cut one unusual (Oooo, I just realised, I would say that wouldn't I ??).

You're right it does look futuristic for the time, but there are other pieces that would sit well with it from that period by W/F's - for instance, see plate 118 on page 126 of Lesley Jackson.

Nigel

Offline CultureVulture

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »
are we aloud to speak about possible values here?

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 11:12:37 PM »
Errrmmm, well.................. dealers advising other dealers about price :huh: :spls:

Be realistic, it's maybe scarce, but only a few potential buyers.

Nigel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 08:33:19 AM »
If someone ordered it smooth in 1934 it must have looked strange along side there other pieces futuristic even.

Take a look at other glass from the 1930s, you be surprised how modern much of it looks. The trouble is that much of the stuff we mostly remember from the post-war era often wasn't innovative; it was conservative and harked back to earlier times. There was innovation out there, it just wasn't the norm and it didn't always sell well.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 10:03:41 AM »
are we aloud to speak about possible values here?

Hi,
 As Nigel says it is a limited market and undecorated bowls are not high on many collectors list of must have's. Scratched interiors also detract and are costly to repair/renovate .
 In my opinion if you listed it on Ebay you would be lucky to get 30.00 to 40.00 for it.

Now if it was one of these.................. ???                 ( Images by permission Museum of London. )

Offline CultureVulture

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »
Yes ive got some of those too Patrick...

....just kidding.

I think im probably going to add it to my keeper collection. Maybe ill get it restored one day. Ive been looking at getting into glass restoration myself once ive had practice and competent ill probably give it a go. I wouldnt touch it till i was competent.

Thanks for the advice

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand