No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Finely blown vase with foot and applied handles  (Read 4295 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Finely blown vase with foot and applied handles
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:00:36 AM »
A very finely blown vase with pale blue body and foot with applied cobalt blue handles. The rim around the foot is folded over and there is a neat and small pontil mark. Very light in weight (175g) and 21cm tall.

Age and maker are a mystery to me but it dawned on me this evening that this may be lamp worked.

Any ideas?

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Finely blown vase with foot and applied handles
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 03:06:31 PM »
seeing a folded foot, and that sort of delicacy, might a Venetian/Murano output be a possibility?    Snapped pontils were not uncommon from that source.     Just an idea. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:34:20 PM »
I think John (and I) have already decided it probably comes from a small island near Venice, in Italy, in Europe, Paul - so you're the third vote on that! :thup: :thup: :thup:
It's quite exquisite, isn't it? The sort of thing you might like to keep your ashes in when the time comes - except the ashes would spoil it's appearance.  :spls:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
Move to Murano, please. Looks good !

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
Thanks all, it is beautifully made.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »
It is a type of glass known as soffiati. Soffiati glass is impossibly thin. It was most popular in the 1920-30s in Venice, though it is still made. Most soffiati I have seen is unmarked -- even the Venini soffiati, since much was made before Venini started stamping their glass. Companies known for fine soffiati like this include Venini, Cappellin, and Zecchin-Martinuzzi (different Zecchin), though there were others. A good place to start is with a flashlight and some good magnifiers to see if you can find any marks at all. Sometimes a surprise "Made in Italy" may hop out.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:44:27 AM »
Wow, thank you Anita. I have had a look with several different lights and there are no marks.

After a trawl around the web I ended up back on this forum....

Sofiati
(for those not familiar with the term)
Defined by Carl Gable in Murano Magic as:
"Mouth blown glass with classic lines and delicate colors"

Well, it definitely fits that description. What a lovely find, amazing what can be picked up from time to time.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
hello John  -  reminds me of someting equally delicate and 'impossibly thin' that I had the good fortune to find couple of years back..........although mine was marked, as you can see from the thread.     Obviously, ignore any reference to the Stuart piece.          Might Anita comment on whether my piece should also technically be described as 'Soffiati' glass.     Here is the link to my bowl...     http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28600.0.html    which unfortunately is now showing some slight suface cloudyness - although presumably it can be removed.         Also, apologies for piggy backing onto your post. :)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 10:24:53 AM »
Looks good to me Paul but I am a complete beginner in terms of Soffiati (no apologies needed).

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
hello John  -  reminds me of someting equally delicate and 'impossibly thin' that I had the good fortune to find couple of years back..........although mine was marked, as you can see from the thread.     Obviously, ignore any reference to the Stuart piece.          Might Anita comment on whether my piece should also technically be described as 'Soffiati' glass.     Here is the link to my bowl...     http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28600.0.html    which unfortunately is now showing some slight suface cloudyness - although presumably it can be removed.         Also, apologies for piggy backing onto your post. :)

Paul, your glass looks like it could qualify for soffiati, especially with the Cappellin signature on bottom.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand