No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Percival or Davidson hobnail pattern?  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Percival or Davidson hobnail pattern?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2006, 02:29:21 AM »
Quote from: "pamela"
... che sara, sara, what ever will be will be ...

Thanks, Pamela, I had forgotten that one.   It will come in useful on this year's visit to Murano, especially when contemplating their mysteriously inedible breakfasts!

Barbara — I can understand why you considered a Manchester source; these glassworks were superb at post-moulding modifications.   Only today, sorting for the MK fair, I was looking at three amazing examples of Manchester, a PV and a M&W pickle jar and a PV oil cruet.   It takes forever to convince anyone that the four bottles in the EPNS cruet stand were all pressed in the same mould (hobnail pattern, registered design with lozenge, looks the same as your bowl).   The usual response is "How can they be pressed glass, they must have been mould-blown?".   Well they are not mould-blown but pressed.    You don't get sharp right-angle internal corners inside a mould-blown bottle.   They are square in cross-section, so must have been made with a long plain upper section, which was then re-heated and worked into the various tops, some with cut decoration.    See Thompson, p 50, bottle on the right.   This is the same.   Pressed glass, reshaped, with cut shoulders.

Are you certain that you have no registration lozenge?   Some PV and M&W lozenges are very faint.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 03:08:31 AM »
Hello Barbara:

Here is a US Glass catalog page showing several pieces of their 9525 pattern including a 9 inch bell bowl in the top row that looks like yours and Ivo's rose jar in the bottom row.

I don't know what the base of the bowl looks like because I don't have any of these, sometimes they would differ from flat pieces.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/sid.lethbridge/USGlass_9525.jpg

Sid

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2006, 08:05:10 AM »
Hi Glen & Pamela,

What I was trying to say, in my short time allowed on MY computer!, was that I didn't think it was anything else but British made.
 :oops:
 I have been all over it with a fine tooth comb and can't find any marks what so ever.

If it was either Davidson's or Percival and Vickers  I suppose that it would date from about 1900, but as it looks increasingly likely not to be, when would it have been made by the other companies?

Sid, it does look like the same design as in the catalogue, talk about confusing :roll:

I have taken a picture of the base in the hope that it may shed some light on the maker

http://i2.tinypic.com/orhzdu.jpg

Many thanks

Barbara

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »
By the look of the base, it should have a metal base of the sort that is crimped on and then fixed with sort of Polyfilla stuff IMHO. Can't help you with the maker though

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2006, 02:20:18 PM »
Barbara, Sid and all. I'm inclined to put my money on the United States Glass pattern - mainly because of the 9" size (which is pretty big isn't it?) The one "fly in the ointment" is the lack of a star on the base (and the bases shown in the US Glass extract do show a star). But the fact is many US Glass moulds were later sold - so maybe it's a US glass item that was made by another factory (even in South America) with a plain base plate (hence the lack of star).

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2006, 02:51:25 PM »
Hi Glen,

I think I  agree with you, especially with it having the plain band round the rim, its well travelled and still in first class condition.

Did the ladies in the US have aspidistra's as well :lol: because thats the only thing I could think it could be used for, as it is a whopper.

Barbara

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand