No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please with maker of this glass fish- Czech? ID = Wedgwood  (Read 2529 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: Help please with maker of this glass fish- could it be Czech
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 12:45:26 AM »
I am glad this has been moved to British Glass as it is definitely Wedgwood, and yes Paul I was speaking specifically about Wedgwood Glass. The Wiki and dictionary definitions are not appropriate for this topic, only for colour definition in general.
I have now thoroughly digested the animal section of Susan Tobin's book Emmi and am pleased to agree with Paul that the colour of your Dolphin is the 'Official Wedgwood' colour Topaz.
As you say Paul,  they do not make any pieces with the colour name 'Amber' and therefore we must conclude that this is just the general public's name for this golden/honey/brown colour.
They were not always 'signed' but sometimes just given the gold oval label, so lack of Sand Blasted Wedgwood England does not necessarily denote a second, and from the pictures, I can see no reason to assume it is a second. It is symmetrical and in proportion and has a normal pontil scar on the base.
I hope that clarifies  the maker and official Wedgwood colour name for your dolphin Emmi? :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Help please with maker of this glass fish- could it be Czech
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 08:33:34 AM »
It would be interesting to see the dolphin next to say a topaz candlestick Emmi as the colours in my experience are different. That is, the hues vary (of what I think are two variations of amber). The thickness of a given bit of glass will affect how our eye perceives the shade or tint of the colour but it will not change the hue.

Earlier I used the expression 'pinkish tone', more correctly that would have been pinkish hue.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Help please with maker of this glass fish- Czech? ID = Wedgwood
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
The thickness of a given bit of glass will affect how our eye perceives the shade or tint of the colour but it will not change the hue.

I quite agree John.  Sorry I don't have anything else by Wedgwood to do a comparison photo.  If I do get a candlestick I will post a pic.  Thanks for your input.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 05:07:22 PM »
As we collectors know only too well, too many things can influence how we see colour/shade/hue/tints  -  and I don't even really know what the difference is between some of these words, but those influences are sufficient to make impossible and rather pointless to argue about images on the screen :).
You can call this dolphin whatever colour you wish, but it does have that something that makes me think immediately of Wedgwood  -  and am sure that if you said to someone  'you know those topaz/amber dolphins from Wedgwood', they'd know fairly quickly what it was you were describing, whether you used the correct colour word or not.

Was the process of colouring mixing at Wedgwood an exact science  -  I wouldn't have thought so -  a very small difference in the batch might just make the difference for people to disagree on the outcome.

Speaking of this particular colour/shade/tint/hue, I have an early decanter that is almost colourless in places, and then again some animals show the most dense effect of all - and as we've seen here opinions are varied on what to call the resulting effect.       Just looked at my candleholders in topaz, and they don't appear quite as dense as the animals, but probably more dense than most other articles. 

I wish Wedgwood had used amber  -  would have made life easy for us, but the nearest the book gets is topaz.

I can show the above items if of interest, but get the feeling it's too easy to get bogged down with trivia instead of enjoy our glass collecting. ;D

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »
A sagacious reply Paul.... can't say fairer than that!  :)
Rosie.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 07:21:40 PM »
The Sheringhams here are interesting - the two ambers again: http://www.ronaldstennettwillson.com/Candlesticks_Sheringham.html

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »
The introduction to this Candlestick group does say:

'The colours can be quite variable and different shades can often be seen by comparisons.' So it would seem that any colour that is a honey/ amber/ topaz type colour, is in fact only catalogued as Topaz.

And on the Sandringham candle holder description, there is a mention of:
'and again some variation within the main colours, probably due to the colourings being hand mixed.'
The main colours being topaz, green, blue, clear and amethyst.
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand