No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Starry Night meets Chop Suey ??  (Read 7485 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Starry Night meets Chop Suey ??
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
thanks for posting this Rose, an interesting subject,
if Anita hadn't shown the the other pics I would have been fooled as a buyer,
 except for the double pontil, that would have been a no for me.

Hi there:

Yes, I would have had no idea either.  Again, I thought  :ho: the bottom was a reflection of some sorts.  So lesson to all......never *Assume*.  Ask, Ask, Ask.....

I thought it might have been fixed some, but due to Anita pics -- I never realized just how much.  :thud:  I am Glad that Anita had that pic because we see a lot of certain designs of Murano on here for certain items........but I have never seen that bowl at all.  So I had no idea.  Even after Anita has posted her pics to us -- I have NOT found another pic like that on the Net either.  So Thank you Anita for your image, and well kept image records!!

I had no idea what the shape of the bowl *was* at one time.

So You Win sometimes, you lose sometimes....Life!!
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 09:11:31 AM »
Okay...i am off to get my eyes tested and to see if I need new glasses....besides the base issue I only see some stress fractures... :pb:

Will leave my post to the ramblings of a mad man... :t:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 01:50:51 PM »
kane, you are quite right. I sell glass, so I do look at it differently than a collector would. Selling it tends to make us harsh on damage, since even a little damage usually means that it won't sell. It is a pretty bowl. Since Rose is a collector, it will be very nice for her.

There are many people in the USA that have the instruments they need for grounding and polishing glass. I used to have one person who would buy the mildly damaged glass and polish out the damage. He was a collector. I never saw his work, since he didn't resell, so I don't know how good it was. I do see attempts at repairs very often on Murano glass birds. The repairs usually end up looking worse than the original damage, most likely. Most people don't have the expertise to finish the glass correctly, so the glass ends up looking filed, with unpolished flat places that should be round and shiny. The rim of Rose's bowl is a good example of the look of glass that has been ground down.

There is one good thing about the repair. The bowl will fit into a smaller space. The original bowl was quite wide and would occupy a whole table. I do like the pattern of her bowl. Some apparenza pieces are prettier than others. I like the center of Rose's bowl better than I like the one in my picture.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand