No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A little (Webb) sunshine for a grey day  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
A little (Webb) sunshine for a grey day
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »
This is my latest acquisition in Sunshine Amber. Clearly marked with the 1936-49 mark Webb MADE IN ENGLAND, but does this range have a name? I can't find one. The form is common but the "hobnails" are not.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: A little (Webb) sunshine for a grey day
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:12:41 PM »
Christine, what a fabulous colour that is! Does it have a uranium content? It's much more sun-shiny than I thought sunshine amber would be.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
Enough uranium to knock your socks off. It's quite thick glass, so it looks more sunshiny than this one. Both are lead crystal

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »
Lovely!   :D :hiclp:  The 'Gay Glass' range seems to be very much larger than I realised!  Your latest piece is far more bumpy than 'Bullseye', isn't it?  And my 'Bullseye' has 'Waterlily' engraved on it, plus my 'River Scene' bowl is not in the catalogue, as far as I am aware   :spls:  I wonder how many more surprises there are to be found!   :thup: 
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 02:19:34 PM »
It's gloriously lumpy Christine - bet you've got K. standing over it with massive UV lights and the curtains shut, just so you can bask in the uraniumness from all angles! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And yes - this Gay Glass is full of surprises, isn't it?  :thud:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »
Gorgeous colour and I do like Webb vases  :hiclp: (but it's very warm and a sunny day here today  :P ) - I have a bullseye one, sort of diabolo shape I suppose it would be called.  It is fabulous quality.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
I'm very pleased with it. I stood it next to my Spring Green Bullseye and decided I liked all the extra knobbles much better. And I just love the Sunshine Amber with its secret.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
Bet they couldn't call it that now  -  have some minority group shouting 'homophobic persecution of glass'. ;D      Congrats. to you Christine  -   very desireable piece. :hiclp:   Perhaps not 'hobnail' though, just in case it is confused with the classis pattern of the same name on pressed and cut material.     Presumably this is one of the optic range, as opposed to real 'bullseye - i.e. the outside is smooth?      The book does say that this range did have 'an appreciable amount of u. added (but sorry to hear about Anne's socks coming off) ;)         Been a very warm and sunny day here as well (Surrey - U.K.) - and I have a nice deco style u. trinket set and Ed. Moore piece from the charity shops (only part of both and nothing remotely as lustful as your piece) ;D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
I don't find Webb stuff all that exciting (sorry David E!) but the uranium content in those particular vases is amazing.  If I see bits of uranium glass that colour I tend to pick it up...I love that bright, yellowy shade.   :girlcheer:
I am not a man

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »
Very nice Christine, :mrgreen: :mrgreen:only got one uv piece by Webb...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand