No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Buy of the week  (Read 25628 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Buy of the week
« on: October 14, 2011, 11:55:42 AM »
On the board for my other passion, Poole Pottery, we run a thread for ebay, auction, fair, etc buys for anyone to post what they've brought and everyone else to drool over.  It works well there, so thought I'd test run the idea on here, kicking off with my early christmas present to myself in the shape of a missing link in my Selkirk collection, being the full set of 12 days of christmas weights.  All number 110, at £34 each including the postage I really can't see them as expensive :)

Enjoy :)

Post your own buys when you get them, lovely to see what people are buying!

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Buy of the week
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 01:55:50 PM »
Fabulous

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »

Here are a couple of nice weights we have got off eBay over the last few years. Not bargains, but nice pieces for our collection.

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:30:34 PM »
Alan, what is picture 38 in your photobucket?  Its stunning!

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:21:50 PM »

Hi.  It is a Murano butterfly by Galliano Ferro - as you say, stunning. I have a facetted mushroom of theirs from the same era (my guess is 1960s - 1970s, but someone may know better...).

See my Murano project on my website.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
Hi Ian,

Good for you!!

Actually, I wondered whether you had bought them!!

It is a nice Christmas present...

Sophie

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:36:21 PM »
Just need to find the 5 or so I already had and pop them onto ebay :)

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:13:34 AM »
Hi everybody,

New week, new 'buy of the week'.

I got these five Selkirk weights in a lot at auction recently. Although an avid Selkirk collector, I did not have any weight of the pond life series (they are early and very limited editions of only 30 each). Now I have five of the eight weights that make up the two series.

The engraving by David Gulland is absolutely stunning and the abstract pond design by Peter Holmes is gorgeous. I am a very happy girl... Also, it did not cost me much as the lot also included two caithness abstracts, the sale of which covers nearly all the auction price (170 incl. commission).

SophieB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »
Looks suspicously like the set I don't own plus another?  Very jealous, one of the missing links for my collection!  What numbers of 30 are they?

This weeks buys were 6 strathearn door knobs which are all lovely and a load of books at Stroud auctions for £50, including the out of print Ysart book and some Bob Hall ones as well :)

Ian

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
Hi Ian :hi:,

No need to be jealous  8): it cannot be your missing link as this lot is a combination of weights from both pond life series. If my information is correct, pond life n. 1 consists of: Otter, Great crested grebe, Frog and Trout (and I have both Great crested grebe and Otter - the two weights at the back in my first picture) and pond life n. 2 consists of: Dragonfly, Sedge warbler, Kingfisher and Perch (I have the first three - see the remaining weights in the picture). All the weights are n. 8/30 with the exception of the Sedge warbler one which is n. 2/30. I think somebody bought both sets but they got divided up.

Interestingly, a few weeks before this lot was offered at auction a single weight from the pond life series was offered on Ebay: the frog. I was travelling abroad and my access to the internet was quite random; so I did not manage to bid (I might not have got it anyway). However, the frog was n. 8/30. In all likelihood, it was part of the same set. Somebody, somewhere has just acquired 'my' frog  ;D...

By the way, I saw the Strathearn doorknobs, they looked good. Well done!!

Sophie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand