No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dubarry Perfumery id for Pamela  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Dubarry Perfumery id for Pamela
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »
Indeed you did Paul.  :-*  Christine was querying the IBC assertion in the linked topic rather than your statement of its being Dubarry and I just tried to explain what had apparently happened.

Thank you for adding the pic of your bottom (as it were!). It still doesn't look like the shape of the hard to read digit on Pamela's one, so why that is will have to remain a curiosity for now.

Now we've resolved that conundrum, we can revert to considering who actually made your bottle...  which we'll struggle with without having access to the order books of the likely candidates.  IBC have to remain a possibility, as would Bagley, who produced a similar sunray bottle under their own RD no. 781996, and being primarily a bottle works they are known to have produced bottles for companies such as AVON and Rose's (lime juice people) amongst others.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 07:23:21 AM »
If anyone is interested, here's one complete with labels...and talc!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/art-deco-glass-bottle-talcum-powder-Dubarry-/180746150504

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »
thanks Wayne - I wonder if the contents still smell of Lily of the Valley?        Could be completely wrong, but the top looks as though it might be plastic, possibly - would be interesting to know for how long this particular item was manufactured.     
Subsequent to my original notes, I have since discovered that Barry Skelcher included a uranium example in one of his books, for which he quotes a height of 12.75 cm., which equates to five inches tall (we don't know for certain, of course, but the ebay seller may have erred in assessing the height).        This possible variation in height, coupled with the different images of this container shown in Anne's links - suggests that throughout the entire production period for this container there may well have alterations to the specification - certainly the cap design and paper logos appear to have varied, and the height, possibly.
Skelcher's uranium example - in common with almost all of the images in Anne's links - shows a container with a brass plated cap, which we know were the original 1930's screw tops  -   which may suggest that the plastic lidded ebay example was a later modified design  -  maybe from the late 1940's or early 50's.
Skelcher's text adds nothing new to the question as to who manufactured the glass  -  in fact quite the opposite  -   he draws attention to the (perhaps) common error of assuming that the manufacturer was the company to whom the design was first registered.

Ref.  'The Big Book of Vaseline Glass'  -  Barrie Skelcher  -  2002 (Schiffer)  -  pages 39 and 156.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 12:09:01 AM »
Thinking aloud: maybe they switched to plastic when metals were appropriated for wartime production? I've seen several with plastic lids now as well as those with metal lids.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »
I've just seen one today with a green Bakelite lid  and non-uranium green glass.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 07:55:46 PM »
and here is a picture of a yellow one with an indistinct Regd No 755481
The labels say Golden Morn and Dubarry Talcum, though I've forgotten to take a picture of the rear label

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 12:47:59 PM »
and here is the back

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe