No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dubarry Perfumery id for Pamela  (Read 7834 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Dubarry Perfumery id for Pamela
« on: October 14, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
On Pamela's 'Pavillon' site  -  under trinket sets for England  -  there is a single image of an uranium example of a smallish perfume flask, which is catalogued as 'International Bottle Company circa 1930'.      The Rd. No. for this particular piece (placed in relief on the underside of the container) was presumably only partly legible - since Pamela was unable to show all of the six digits.
I'm unable to comment on whether the manufacturer was International Bottle Co., or not, and haven't a clue as to where Pamela obtained this information, but can add a little to the details already on the pavillon site, as follows:

The full base wording reads.........BRITISH  REGD NO. 755481, and at opposing ends of the base are an upper case letter R, and the numeral 6 (or could be a 9?).
Using the Glass Association 'blue book' (for Registration Nos. for March 1908 onwards  -  page 15), this indicates that the No. was first registered on 11th June 1930 by the Dubarry Perfumery Co. Ltd., U.K.         
This company would have been a very well known English name in the world of toilet luxuries and perfumery in the first half of the C20  -  they started out, I think, some time around 1908 - although the name ceased officially in the 1960's when they succumbed to a take-over   -   I understand that their large and imposing premises were (and think they are still) in Hove (West Sussex, U.K.) - adjacent to the railway station.
I dislike nicking too many bits from the internet, and you can read quite a lot about the history of the company, by ex employees etc. on the web  -  but I did think that the following snippet was rather intriguingly gruesome .............. "One of the many rumours about the place was that Lady Dubarry was found hanging on the top floor towards the Hove Villas end of the building. That was always a particularly cold area even in the summer".          Who knows  -  maybe just apocryphal.

attached is a pic. of my own example in frosted finish, and doubtless the tin screw cap rusted away many years ago.    Heitht is approximately 5"/125mm.

Hope Pamela does manage to see this. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Dubarry Perfumery id for Pamela
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:02:13 PM »
Hi Paul, thought you might like to see some adverts for this talcum bottle - on the advertising archive website here: http://www.advertisingarchives.co.uk/index.php?service=search&action=do_quick_search&language=en&q=Dubarry you'll find two adverts for these talc bottles in the 12 Dubarry results. The bottles seem to have come in blue, green, yellow and frosted clear (white) with a gold coloured lid and black and gold labels and cost 2/- each in the 1930s, so not a cheap product!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
UBC is as likely a manufacturer as any though. They certainly made such things.

Offline angel2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
 :angel: :angel:

On Pamela's pavillon site there's an email address and if you head the topic 'pressed glass' she answers remarkably quickly. Thus, she's certain to see what you'd like her to know.    :D

angel2

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 08:41:50 AM »
thanks for the replies :)  -  great link Anne  -   I'm a very passionate fan of those deco period ads., although don't know whether your 'yellow' equates to uranium  -  and I was obviously very wrong in thinking the container was a perfume flask.         
I will get around to giving Pamela a nod later today  -  thanks.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 04:04:05 PM »
Paul, can you add a closeup pic of your bottle base please? I'm looking at Pamela's and trying to make out the number on hers but it doesn't look like a 4..... zooming in it looks like Pamela's says 755581 or 755881, so being able to compare it with your base would be really helpful. Ta!  :X:

BTW the IBC reference seems to have originated here on the board:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3988.0.html - Tony says they also come in pink.

Edited to add: I'm not doubting yours says 755481, as this is the right number for the bottle, as we already know, but I'm just puzzled as to the shape of the digits on Pamela's example.  :kissy:

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 04:23:13 PM »
I wonder if the lid on this one is a later version or a replacement? It doesn't match those shown in the advert I linked to above...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220847799314

and here's a hand-painted one which also still has some of the DuBarry labels:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/77210461/vintage-pale-green-floral-glass-talcum

Ooohhh and another snippet, an old Google search entry for a now-vanished eBay item that was for a small bottle in this pattern with the same RD no. and which did still contain traces of perfume, so Paul you're not wrong at all. The bottles came in more than one size, smaller ones for perfume and the larger size like yours for talc!  :rah:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 05:23:27 PM »
What about the discrepancy over who registered the design?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »
I checked the GA Blue Book and it says DuBarry registered it on 11 June 1930, Christine, so I was puzzled over the IBC reference from Tony here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3988.msg31271.html#msg31271 until I checked his image here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-857 when all became clear!  :sun:

He shows 2 items, one has an IBC RD no, the other is a DuBarry bottle like Paul's with a partially unreadable RD no.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 05:56:14 PM »
Bon soir............sorry for the delay in replying, and in fact I had already stated................"this indicates that the No. was first registered on 11th June 1930 by the Dubarry Perfumery Co. Ltd., U.K."
Not easy photographing the base of this piece  -  the frosted finish, coupled with the poor pressing - making the details indistinct - are not ideal for pictures.    But have wiped a magic marker over its bottom and........hope you are able to read the No. 755481.     I have no need to keep this item, so it will travel to B'ham in November.
However, letter to Father Christmas.......please, I'd like one in uranium :)         

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand