No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Interesting Charles Schneider Style piece ID Help Please ID = Gray-Stan  (Read 4034 times)

Offline a-mighty-wind

• Members
Picked this piece up at local auction. Has a Cluthra look definately has age. The signature is nothing I've seen before. I love the piece, it is well finished and the way the rim is rolled under seems like it took a goos bit of skill. Any Ideas???

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Interesting Charles Schneider Style piece ID Help Please
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:49:50 AM »
Might be British ... Gray-Stan.

Try dusting the signature with talcum powder and gently wiping off. That should make it clearer and might also highlight a two-digit date.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:11:08 AM »
I'm sure that's Gray Stan as Kevin says.......and now I'm going to have to go away and have a cry  :cry: :mrgreen:
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:39:20 AM »
Not so sure signature looks Dremel'd to me, which does not necessarily mean it is not an unsigned piece of Gray-Stan. Genuine signature

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 12:07:32 PM »
ah ....
posted a link to the sig on my piece here for another comparison then.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40304.msg223119.html#msg223119

To be honest I have seen that many and my little piece looks to be a lot thinner glass than the one in the top.  I shall butt out of this topic because I haven't seen enough real live pieces to know to be honest.
I'll dry my tears for now then  ;D and wait and see.
m

Offline a-mighty-wind

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:11:51 PM »
WOW! That was easy haha....The sig is a definate match to alot of other Gray Stan Examples. I will say it seems pieces of this stuff are hard to come by. Any ideas on value??  I don't know much about European glass and I will say that I learn so much from this site.  You guys are most helpful and all so friendly.  I have a few more interesting pieces that I'll be picking your brains on it the coming months haha.......Can't wait

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:23:40 AM »
Signature is a look-like but might be forged as it looks like it was added with an engraving drill... jury is still out... needs more input. The piece itself is closer to Schneider than Gray-Stan in my opinion.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 12:40:34 AM »
Frank makes a valid point about the look of the signature.

I would still like to see a better image of the signature. And it would be useful to know the size of the bowl - and the size of the signature too.

I have only one example of Gray Stan and the signature from a distance of about 10 inches / 25 cm appears very neat with fine script. Only with an ultra-close-up photo does it show normal "graining" in the etching.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
what is the pontil mark like please?

Offline a-mighty-wind

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »
pontil mark is 5/8 of an inch not quite perfectly round and the 1,5 inches outside of that is ground and polished. To me the capitol G in the sig and the way the T is crossed on the right hand side is identical to some examples I have seen on the net. The piece was bought at an auction I work for, the piece was in a box in the attic and was wrapped in a 1962 news paper. If the sig was forged it would have been before then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand