No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identification? ID = Strathearn moulded star, spoke pattern  (Read 3233 times)

Offline serec

• Members
Identification? ID = Strathearn moulded star, spoke pattern
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
Hi there,
I wonder if anyone has any ideas about the origins of this paperweight?  It was given to me as a child in Scotland around 45-50 years ago and I just re-discovered it recently.  I don't know if it was new then.  I can't see any obvious marks apart from a tiny possibly oval-shaped indentation near an edge on the base.  I can't make out any more detail but it doesn't look or feel like a chip or blemish.  The base is pretty smooth with a visible disc in the centre.  It's about 8cm point to point and 4cm tall.

Apologies for the quality of the picture, I've resized and compressed so many times it's barely recognisable!

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Identification?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 11:14:07 PM »
Welcome serec,one of the pwt experts will be along soon,it looks Strathearn,maybe Vasart to me but this is not my field so to say,nice weight ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline serec

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
Hi Keith,
Thanks for the welcome.  I like it too - I think paperweights could be quite addictive!

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 10:44:39 AM »
...and addictive :o we had a few to start with,now around 90 :thud: ;D ;D

Offline serec

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »
Oh heavens!  What am I getting into?  My name is serec and I'm a paperweight-aholic!

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »
Hi Serec,

Definitely a Strathearn (P11 Millefiori Star Spoke Large), me think. I have never seen a Vasart with this star shape before (but KevH will tell me if I am wrong ;)). If you wish to see other paperweights of the same design, have a look at Richard More's fantastic website:

http://strathearn.smugmug.com/

Yes, paperweights are 'nicely' addictive and you will be among happy fellow addicts here on the Board...

SophieB

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
... I have never seen a Vasart with this star shape before (but KevH will tell me if I am wrong ;)).
That is an interesting point. I don't know when the star mould was first used.
KevinH

Offline serec

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 11:31:07 PM »
Thank you for the replies - that's a great link, a lot of info to absorb!

Have I got this right that the factory used to be called Vasart then became Strathearn and this paperweight is from the Strathearn era?

Also, complete newbie question - the spokes are white and mesh-like, are they made of glass or of some other material that's been set into the glass?

Thank you for your patience!   

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:54:18 PM »
Yes, the factory was Vasart Ltd (1956 to 1964) then renamed as Strathearn Glass. If you have some time to go Googling, you will find a good bit about the history (which goes back to the early 1920s) in a few websites.

The general look of the pattern and workmanship of this weight is consistent with regular domed weights known to be Strathearn (labelled, for example) that use the same design. The shape and look of the twist canes is quite typical.

Everything in the weight is made of glass. In simple terms, the spokes are formed by attaching lengths of white (or coloured) glass "threads" to a clear (or coloured) gather of glass then twisting while pulling the the whole thing out to a very long, thin rod, which is later cut up into small lengths after the whole thing has cooled down.
KevinH

Offline serec

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »
Thank you - I'll have a google!

Wow, I'm amazed the 'mesh' is glass, it's so perfectly done.  I'd like to read a bit about the manufacturing process so even more googling required!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand