No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Intaglio Paperweight? ID = NEGC  (Read 2591 times)

Offline medieval feast

• Members
Intaglio Paperweight? ID = NEGC
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
My neighbor wants to buy my old paperweight but insists it's virtually worthless because it's scuffed and because the man on it is someone obscure. (I think the man might be Daniel Webster or maybe Hannibal Hamlin.) Was it possibly made by the New England Glass Company? Can anyone help ID it? Is my neighbor trying to pull a fast one or is he right? I collect glass covered animal dishes and know little to nothing about paperweights.  Thank you, Jane

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Intaglio Paperweight?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »

Hi Jane

It is not clear from your image: is it a sulphide, or - as you suggest - a molded (or intaglio) design? If the latter, I am not sure there is much evidence for NEGC making such pieces. But I doubt it is 'worthless', whoever made it, as it looks to be a good, detailed image. And unless the molded image is damaged, then any scuffing is irrelevant. I would be looking for $100 to $ 200 if it was mine...

alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline medieval feast

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
Oh thank you so much for responding, Alan. I found this article: http://www.collectorw8s.com/images/footer/Datingpaperweights.pdf
and they had this intaglio for sale (I think, but there is no price):
http://www.collectorw8s.com/product.php?cid=27&pid=2
That paperweight is the same size and shape as mine, also beveled, and the artist's style seems very similar. If I understand correctly, sulphides are incased and intaglios are carved, or sunken. Mine is carved.
What do you think?
Jane

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:55:50 PM »
Welcome to the GMB, Jane.

As you found in the links you gave, NEGC did make hexagonal intaglio weights. These are covered in the book The Boston & Sandwich and New England Glass Companies by John Hawley (pages 63 to 67). Perhaps some of our American contributors could add more information, such as the name of the gentleman depicted.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 07:04:38 AM »

I stand corrected. NEGC obviously did make some intaglio weights, as noted above. In a Selman auction in 2000 the description of an NEGC sulphide indicates that these are rarer than NEGC intaglio weights; the sulphide sold for about $380. I'm not sure quite what one can deduce about the value of your intaglio weight from that, as prices have done some odd things over the last 10 years. But I stick by my $100 to $200 figure I gave earlier.
Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline medieval feast

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »
Kevin and Alan, thank you both.
I think I'll create another post asking if anyone can guess at the man's identity.
(Also, sorry Wales lost to France. My husband is from Anglesey and he was not a happy fellow.)  Jane

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:01:58 AM »
 :hi: I have one with the head of a grizzly bear , had it for years never thought i would find out  who made it . thanks . Hi Jane  :kissy:

Offline alpha

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 01:05:34 AM »
It's Daniel Webster and is listed on page 131 of John Hawley's book  "The Art of the Paperwight - The New England Glass Compnay". Only the one illustrated in the book has "Webster" underneath. Based on my prior sales of these types of weights I would think that a price in the $200 to 300 range would be appropriate.

Offline medieval feast

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 01:54:47 AM »
Alpha, thank you so much for giving the mystery man his name. Thanks also for a concise reference.
I am pleased to know. It's doubtful my neighbor (who told me the paperweight is nearly worthless) will be quite so happy.
Appreciative Jane

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Intaglio Paperweight? ID = NEGC
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
At a start bid of 45 pounds mine did not sell . :o   jp cest la vie . :t:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk