No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors Expo Vase Value  (Read 7322 times)

Offline Slimfit1

• Members
Orrefors Expo Vase Value
« on: October 16, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
Dear Members,

I am thinking about purchasing this lovely signed Ingeborg Lundin Expo vase but am not sure how much to pay. I have seen a similar one sold for around £1200, but it was with the wider waist. Cant seem to find any reference to these thinner waisted vases. also would I be right in thinking it is a graal technique and not ariel. thank you.

http://www.auctions-fischer.de/catalogues/online-catalogues/202-european-glass-studio-glass.html?L=1&kategorie=82&artikel=18347&cHash=c209da7f75

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Orrefors Expo Vase Value
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:18:31 AM »
How is it marked on the bottom? 

It's hard to tell with Expo pieces as they are limited edition. Some are very desirable; others less so.  The market for Lundin pieces seems very strong.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Slimfit1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:27:06 AM »
Hello David,

The item is marked ORREFORS Expo Du 173-63 Ingeborg Lundin. I am assuming 63rd out of 173. If so, maybe not the most desirable in the set, but I am drawn to it, like so many others pieces I see. This will be my first orrefors piece.

thanks,

Steve

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:52:28 PM »
Hi:

63 is the year of design and 173 indicates that this is is the 173rd of Lundin's Expo designs in this sequence, which started in 1958. Lundin's Expo series started in 1953,  and restarted at number 1 three times. She made a total of roughly 736 Expo pieces, some of which were very limited runs and some of which were made over a number of years. I know this doesn't help you too much with the possible value of this piece, but it gives you a context, I hope.

Without seeing a close up of the piece, hard to tell what technique has been used. Looks more like Graal and definitely not Ariel, but the walls are much thinner than her standard Graal pieces. Also,  I wonder why it would have an Expo number rather than a Graal number.

Looks like a lovely piece, as most of Lundin's pieces are.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

David

Offline Slimfit1

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 06:18:44 PM »
Hello David,

thanks for the info. it is hard to gage value of similar pieces as any slight variation in shape can make a huge difference. I just couldn't figure out whether this slender waisted version is more desirable than the fat waist just by looking at them.

Steve

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
Hi: 
How much of an variation in size is there?  Is the other one a different model (with different numbers of the bottom) or is the variation small enough to be accounted for by the inevitable differences between handmade pieces?  If the latter, I'd expect the price difference to be small.

David

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:51:35 PM »
Graal is feasible, no need for it to be thick that just suited the earlier designs. Thickness depends on how far you blow it after carving the design. It would be nice to see a close up, graal is one of my great pleasures in life. The price mentioned is fine for graal which remains one of the most expensive decoration techniques.

Offline Slimfit1

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »
David / Frank. See attached pic for the fat waisted vase, engraved Orrefors Expo lu 174-63 Ingeborg Lundin 12in.(30.5cm.) high. Christies 2000. This large waist seems a bit gravity defying, and might be less desirable.

Mod: attached pic removed and link to auction posted in place:
http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/LotDetailsPrintable.aspx?intObjectID=1864844

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
Thanks for the interesting link. Personally, I prefer the the first, slimmer version. However, a price difference between the two is more likely to be caused by factors other than any differences between the vases, where it's sold, when it's sold, who's interested.  Even with a fairly standard graal piece, like Girl and the dove, I've seen variations of more than a thousand dollars. The catalogue price suggested in the Fischer auction is less that the Christie's price. 

Ultimately, it has to be how much do you want it and how much are you prepared to pay.  It is a very nice piece. Good luck and sorry not to have been more help.

David

Offline Martyn K

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »
Here's a few more photos of the Christies one which we owned for a while a few year ago....it is Graal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand