No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ??19thC Opalescent Venetian  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
??19thC Opalescent Venetian
« on: March 01, 2006, 06:32:03 AM »
Please if any one can tell me who made this and when I would be grateful.
I have looked through all my books and tried the web.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1128
   http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1127

This was an internet buy. Sometimes I just can't contain my buying to English and Bohemian!

I wanted to weep for joy and cry for it. It arrived dusty and oiley and with a dark stain inside, probably the only remains of a dead fly.
How can anyone hold something as beautifully made and as gorgeous as this in their hands and not be driven to give TLC? It is cleaned up apart from the stain and is in glassy hospital having the steradent treatment.
Oh well, a topic for the cafe really. 

Ruth

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:32:18 AM »
Absoluetely gorgeous, very effective colour combinations. An identical shape can be found on page 63 of  "Venetian Glass - confections in glass 1855-1914" and is attributed to the Venice and Murano glass co. Ltd. (Salviati & Cie)/ Salviati Dottore Antonio and dated 1872-1895. Congratulations.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 08:23:18 AM »
Thank you Ivo, my gratitude in plenitude, sounds corny but that is very heartfelt.
I have Mariacher's 'Italian Blown Glass' and other books but obvously not enough. The internet did not help either.

I appreciate your generosity in sharing  your expertise.

Ruth

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 12:10:35 AM »
Ruth, I don't often comment in the Murano board. But I have to agree with Ivo, that yours is a superb piece and yes, the colouring is fantastic. It certainly is so much better than a "double oil" that I have (see pic link below), although they seem to share an identical shell moulding. Mine is 9 3/4 inch tall.

http://i2.tinypic.com/otnqr6.jpg
KevinH

Offline Glassyone

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 05:25:35 AM »
Thanks KevH, that is also an elegant confection!

It seems that there is still huge potential for glass enthusiasts to find lovely old glass, wherever they live.
Ruth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand