No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: annealing crack in IOW Studio piece  (Read 1454 times)

Offline AndyD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
annealing crack in IOW Studio piece
« on: June 20, 2017, 03:35:49 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody would know if the crack in the image is the result of annealing. I recently bought an Isle of Wight Studio Michael Harris signed blue and white swirls squat bottle and stopper (from an auction). When I received it and held it up to the light I could see the fine crack but it can't be felt from either the outside or from within. It's hard to find and can't be seen when on normal display but now I know it's there it would be more acceptable if it is a possible fault from manufacture.

Many thanks,

Andy

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: annealing crack in IOW Studio piece
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:11:39 PM »
IoWSG is not known for having annealing cracks, their cooling ovens were not subject to temperature fluctuations in the way older manufacturers' equipment was.
The crack also seems to be on the main body, not the base, where annealing cracks tend to appear, in my limited experience of them.
I'm slightly more familiar with annealing cracks on Monart, but I cannot tell from just a photograph whether or not a crack is from annealing or not.
However, my gut feeling is that is it a normal, ordinary, damage crack and nothing to do with annealing.
Does it ring when tapped with a fingernail, or thud?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline AndyD

• Members
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
It is on the main body and there is a slight thud when tapped. Your probably right, it is the result of a knock. Still a lovely rare thing and nice to have in my small collection.

Thanks

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 07:19:25 PM »
It's far better to have a damaged bit of something scarce you can still enjoy, than not to have it at all. ;D
But the damage should have been reflected in the price.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
I have had a few IoWSG items with small cracks in them, pretty sure two of them were aurene, one was definitely a strapped aurene vase (another was pink and blue swirls). Each time the cracks were hard to spot and on really close inspection I could see that they were only within the inner layer of glass, the layer that in the case of aurene holds the colour.

In this case if there is no indication of damage on the surface associated with the crack then I would assume an annealing fault resulting in a stress crack.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 07:33:35 PM »
If it's only in one layer, it will still ring when tapped, will it not?
Maybe I ought to have a closer look at some of my Aurenes, especially the strapped ones!
The only thing I have with a humungous crack in the base is a massive tortoiseshell bell vase, I have assumed it came from an annealing problem originally, because of the size.

The crack in Andy's pot seems to be at two angles rather than a single line?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline AndyD

• Members
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:24:53 PM »
Thanks John, I think you're right. It is within the glass and looks a lot worse in the image. My family couldn't find it and sometimes I can't unless the light is right.

It's the only piece of blue and white swirls I have at the moment and wasn't expensive. Definately worth having and an amazing colour. Nice that it's signed too.

It does ring a bit but not the same as a globe vase but I think it's more the shape.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:20:18 PM »
I remembered last night that white is a colour of enamel that does cause problems in annealing because of it having different cooling rates to other colours.

It cause loads of problems for wfs with the stuff they were putting a white rim on and they ended up giving up on it.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline AndyD

• Members
    • studio glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »
I guess that's why then. I've had a better look and can't see any impact mark.

Thanks yet again for your help and for sharing your knowledge.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 03:53:52 PM »
I don't always remember the relevant stuff at the right times. :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum