Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > USA

Holly & Berry Carnival

(1/2) > >>

Della:
Hi,
I presume this is Holly & Berry and I know that this piece isn't a rare one.
Nonetheless, I would love to more about it, please.
When was this made, is it still made, etc?

Many thanks, as always.

Glen:
Hi Della - yes indeed, it is Holly & Berry. It was made by Dugan in around 1910 - 1915. It's Classic USA Carnival - and a delightful example too. The colour is the charm! It's peach opal - a "signature" colour of Dugan, that he was very good at.

To the best of my knowledge, the pattern has not been reproduced. Some Dugan moulds have been found, over the years, and some patterns have been re-made. Not many - and the ones that have been repro'd are well known. But this beauty is an original.

Congratulations on a truly lovely item. Rarity does not always infer Beauty.

Glen

Ivo:
Mine seems to be lighter?

http://i2.tinypic.com/osy1at.jpg

and is this the same maker, then?

http://i2.tinypic.com/osy0xz.jpg[/img]

Della:
Hi Glen,
Many, many thanks as always. :D  :D
I bow to your knowledge.
I think it is beautiful too. I can't seem to capture the colour well on a photograph.
It has plenty of wear to the base, but it is in wonderful condition otherwise.
Now that I have a few pieces of Carnival, it is easy to see why it is collectable (addictive). The variety of colours between pieces, let alone the different colours produced from one piece, depending on the time of day and/or the amount of sun and/or the artificial lighting conditons, is just amazing.  :P

Glen:

--- Quote from: "Deltab" ---Now that I have a few pieces of Carnival, it is easy to see why it is collectable (addictive). The variety of colours between pieces, let alone the different colours produced from one piece, depending on the time of day and/or the amount of sun and/or the artificial lighting conditions, is just amazing.  :P
--- End quote ---

Perfectly put, Della.  :D

Glen (who admits to being carnivally-obsessed)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version