No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possibly Edwardian cut glass drinking glasses ID sought  (Read 503 times)

Offline Andy Green

• Members
Possibly Edwardian cut glass drinking glasses ID sought
« on: October 18, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
Following on from my previous post, these are photos from the 2nd set of 6 glasses I have bought. Again stand about 6" high.

I think they are cut glass because when i feel the bowl, it has the feel of being able to cut your fingers (not literally but I am sure you know what I mean)

The foot is also cut. I believe these are Edwardian, would I be correct

Thanks

Andy
Kind Regards, Andy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Possibly Edwardian cut glass drinking glasses ID sought
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:41:20 PM »
It will help Andy if you provide more light when photographing, also keep the background plain and single coloured (ideally black for clear glass).    Assuming this glass is without any sort of backstamp, then again you may struggle to find an attribution, although it's possibly someone may recognize the design.    A useful method of locating patterns/designs (to provide an attribution) for cut glass items like this, is to search those internet sources that offer replacement glasses (for pieces that get broken or when making up sets).            See here for example      http://www.replacements.com/crystal/STU.htm#1   and this is just I think, for Stuart patterns, but you can see the general idea and how useful it might be.         I'm not suggsting your glass is Stuart, but you can browse this site for a guide as to what sort of data they provide.
Can't really say how old this glass might be, bit difficult to see with the poor lighting  -  but as a general guide to age (although many here won't necessarily agree), look for signs of wear on the underside of the foot.    No wear at all, and I'd very strongly suggest you again have a second half C20 manufactured glass.    Do look carefully for the backstamp  -  sometimes they can be very difficult to locate, especially on star cut feet.
Remember too, the colour of pieces can help with dating glass  -  very white clear glass is usually more recent, whereas slightly leaden greyish tones often indicate a much older production.

Again, try the internet for other sources of replacement glasses, remembering the major names, like Edinburgh, Royal Brierley, Webb etc.    It can take ages to trawl through some of these sites, but you will never come away without learning something. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:25:56 AM »
at the risk of me becoming boring Andy  -  you might consider purchasing one or two pieces that will teach you something about the matters we have hightlighted.    So much easier when you have the glass in your hand, as opposed to trying to understand from a bunch of words. :)
If you can run to the expense, buy one or two genuine Victorian/Edwardian drinking glasses (from a reputable antiques supplier) that will show such features as.....ground/polished pontil mark - identifiable back stamp - good lead composition.     Might save you wandering around not knowing exactly what we are speaking of, and will hasten some knowledge.                     Probably not expensive (although depends from where you buy) - you might try ebay sellers as a starter to assess prices in general. 

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:02:23 AM »
Hi Andy and Paul, I've come out of hiding to say that I'm another collector of wine glasses!  ;D  I collect mainly etched and engraved, but also some cut, if they are pretty.  And yes, I'm still totally ignorant of age and quality etc. (Paul, your words are wise - thank you   :thup:) as I generally just buy what I like the look of.  I do try not to buy what is obviously modern, but I suspect my collection includes many which are not as early as I thought when I first saw them  :-[ 

Andy, photographing clear and cut glass is the most difficult thing to get right, in my experience!  As Paul says, black is good, but good lighting is vital! 

Replacements is a very good place to look for patterns, if you have a spare few hours (days?  :spls:) to browse through the images there.  Do as Paul says and double check for a very pale maker's mark on the foot!  They can indeed be very difficult to find.  Many however won't have one. 

I like your glasses, and would say they were a reasonably nice quality, but my first response would be that they didn't have all that much age.  However, as I said before, I'm by no means an expert at this!  :pb:

Anyway, it's nice to see another stem-ware collector around!  :thup: 
Leni

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
I collect stemware as well, but mostly I don't care where it was made. If it's not uranium it has to be cheap (very, pence-ish each) and old or oldish and pretty or a set for using. If it's uranium, I may pay up to £10 for a glass if it's interesting enough, but age doesn't matter. Take a look in my barware album...there is more to photograph

Offline Andy Green

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:23:56 PM »
Dear all,

You have all Been very helpful & I will take on board purchasing couple of 'genuine' pieces to start with. A great idea.

Thank to you all (and especially you Paul)  :thup:

Andy
Kind Regards, Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand