No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Walsh 'Flora' range??  (Read 1981 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Possible Walsh 'Flora' range??
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
As in Gullivers Victorian glass,a similar piece,page181,2.5 inches high with a polished pontil mark,did wonder if it might have been S&W,any help gratefully received ;D ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Possible Walsh 'Flora' range??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 06:17:35 PM »
Colours remind me of this http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=998
But I'm not sure they're Walsh Flora, which is supposed to be reversed Crushed Strawberry, as Crushed Strawberry looks creamier and pinker.
It's uranium though.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 06:46:33 PM »
Thanks again Christine,the flash washes out the colour a little and you're right I've just checked it for uranium ;D,that's a nice vase ;D

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:49:54 AM »
Keith
l came across a same vase with different colour pink over opal in Fieldings auction record and was sold for £50 in 2008. They just said 19thc Stourbridge.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 11:35:39 AM »
Thanks Ming,I'll have a look at their site ;D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »
Keith — I've only ever knowingly seen two examples of Flora, Eric's bowl illustrated in Reynolds and Gulliver, and one I have in stock.   Both have elements of the designs shown in the PG advertisements for the Crushed Strawberry and Electric Blue ranges reproduced in Reynolds.   My Flora also has an identical raspberry prunt over the pontil scar to that on an example of Crushed Strawberry I have — you can put them side by side and see that they were made with the same tool — a nice bonus.

Your bowl, while it could have been made by Walsh, doesn't match these PG advertisements, nor have I ever seen such a rim on a confirmed example of Walsh.   I agree with you that S&W is a much more likely starting point for your attribution exercise.

If you can bring it to a glass fair, let me know in good time and I will endeavour to bring my example of Flora for direct comparison.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
Thanks again,I will try to get to the next one at the NEC.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »
Keith — My Flora is packed and in the car, ready for tomorrow's fair at the Motorcycle Museum (close to, but not the NEC).   I look forward to comparing the two pieces.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »
Bernard, sorry I'm not going to get there,the wallet is empty and have a nasty cold that will not go away,will try to get to the next one.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »
Keith — Sorry to hear that, but it's too late to unpack it!!!   I will have the Flora and four examples of Crushed Strawberry on my stand tomorrow if anyone else wants to do a comparison.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand