No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible Rosice Lemon Squeezer  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Possible Rosice Lemon Squeezer
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
this small clear glass lemon squeezer looks a possible match for Rosice Glass Export 1958 (Sklo Union Data Base) - page 2 - item No. 652.    If someone has the time to check for me I'd be very grateful.    My esample measures something like 14cm  x  7cm. which does seem to be about right.
I notice also - whilst looking for other matters - that there is what appears to be the same design on Pamela's pavillon site  -  listed under Miscellaneous (blue and clear examples) - line No. 15 (from memory) - catalogue No. 05115.    Might these two pieces be from the same source also - although I notice a possible slight variation in the 'dome' shape.
I find myself wanting to shout  "new lamps for old......new lamps for old

thanks for looking :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Possible Rosice Lemon Squeezer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 04:47:39 AM »
Hi Paul,

I'd say your item is not the same as the one in the Rosice catalogue.  Maybe it's just the angle at which your photo was taken, but it looks like your spout is situated lower than in the Rosice example.  Also, the handle looks slightly different -- the inner part is more rounded than the catalogue version.  As for Pamela's lemon squeezers, they are different to yours.

Then again, my eyes don't always see what they're supposed to see.  Hopefully someone will be able to help. :usd:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:31 AM »
thanks for looking Anik  -  have to admit I wasn't overly optimistic, and thought it worth asking for another opinion. :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:45:53 PM »
It could be within tolerance can you add a shot at the same angles as catalogue and on a paler background please. It also draws attention to a probable error in the database on the CD which shows a vase as Rosice 652 but with no attribution to source.

Pamela's also bears a lot of similarities... handle completely different could be the same design but different moulds. Or just someone copying the unusual design.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
Another error in database is vase 992 Rosice, differs from 1958 catalogue where it is a lidded box. Pattern numbers surely remained constant! Oops.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 04:58:34 PM »
further picture now attached, and there certainly appears to be a difference regarding the angle of the spout section, so now not sure.       Seen a million lemon squeezers over the years but never an 'oil lamp' shaped example.     Any more angled views required, let me know. :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 06:35:18 PM »
Try comparing to this one's large images for similarities LINK Which IS Inwald marked and Rosice pattern 10.

n.b. Only notice the mark by chance!

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 03:40:31 PM »
There is a similar lemon squeezer in the 195? Glassexport catalogue on Jindrich's site.  In addition to a side view, it also offers a top view.  Paul, does it appear to be the same as yours?  I, unfortunately, can't tell... the base looks slightly different.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 05:31:18 PM »
Now I wonder which factory those were made by, probably more than one going by differing pattern numbers... need to look at some pre-war cats to find numbering style matches I guess. Seems that a lot of different styles were made.

Paul can you add that extra view please.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »
Thanks to Anik for adding the page from Jindrich's site (item No. 2606) - although I have to say that these (drawn) images look to me more akin to Pamela's examples than mine  -  again, the higher rakish angle of the spout, plus the wider/more blunt body of the squeezer 'dome'.       In fact this No. 2606 looks a lot like No. 652 (Rosice) to which I referred at the beginning of this thread, although I would accept that the handle appears to have a slightly different shape.     The image for this 652 is another drawn example, so maybe a little doubt as to exactly how accurate a representation it is to the real thing.
I've looked again at both the clear and blue examples on Pamela's 'pavillon' site - and as is usual when you try to make multiple comparisons you end up seeing all sorts of differences - some of which may well be simply imagination  -  although it does seem that my example differs from Pamela's, and the Rosice and Jindrich offerings, principally in this rather noticeable difference of the angle of the spout.         Maximum diameter of my squeezer foot is 65mm (sits on a ground/polished flat outer foot ring).
I have now included further pictures of the base plus a picture showing the more pointed dome (of my example) and hope these are of assistance - sorry the last one is a little flaky :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand