Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Cameo wine glass bought in the USA - who made it  (Read 1130 times)

Offline thomas

• Members
Cameo wine glass bought in the USA - who made it
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
This wine glass is 7-3/4" tall.  The design is very detailed with ripples in the water and reflections of the trees in the water.  It has 3 layers of purple glass.  It is not marked.  I was hoping someone might have an opinion about the age or maker of the glass.  I was wondering if it might be a more recent piece.  I have owned it since the late 70's early 80's.  I imagine it is very difficult to date unmarked glass of this type or attribute it to any particular glass manufacturer.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Cameo wine glass - who made it
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board  :sun:
Your vase is very pretty.  I can't help but I wonder if you could enlarge maybe the close up picture at the bottom  a little so it blows up larger please?  Also where did you buy it country wise? that can sometimes help in pinpointing who may have made things.
Many thanks
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:12:34 AM »
Wine glass, M, not a vase ;) Though I suppose you could put flowers in it if you want to. :kissy:

I was idly thinking how amazing it might look lit by a tealight... but Thomas, please don't try it in case it cracks the glass! (Unless you use one of those small battery operated LED tealights of course!)

It's a lovely wine glass, though I have absolutely no idea who it might be by... am I right in thinking you're in the USA Thomas?

Offline thomas

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:37:26 AM »
Yes, I'm in the USA and the wine was purchased in the USA.   M, I have taken some larger photos but I had to send an e-mail to a moderator to find out how to load them as I assume the current photos will have to be deleted.  I will load them if possible when I get instructions.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
You can add more photos to this thread, just use reply and then you can attach four photos per reply/post (max size for each photo 124kb).

A little help here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

John

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • ALAVNA Vintage & Collectable Glass
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:58:25 PM »
John's right Thomas, you don't need to replace your pics, you can add more at any time. Each time you post a message you can add up to four images to it. Do ask if you need help though.

Offline thomas

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
Larger photos - I think - I hope - Maybe - Who knows.

Offline thomas

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 05:51:38 PM »
John and Anne.  Thanks for the help.  I didn't realize I could add another set of photos with each reply.  I saw the "attach" at the bottom of my first reply but I thought if I clicked on it, it would tell me I already had 4 photos posted.  I'm working on the photo problem.  I trying to learn how to download from my camera to a program which allows resizing.  I don't have specialized photo software.  The photos posted were taken with a cam which doesn't take the best pics.  I'm also having to use table lamps as lighting and having a hard time getting good lighting and getting rid of glare.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Cameo wine glass bought in the USA - who made it
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:26:52 PM »
Anne thanks   :-[ tough day yesterday and I was tired  ;D
Thomas my apologies,  your glass is beautiful.  I can't help but tomorrow I will have a look through my books and see if something pops out.  
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
Re: Cameo wine glass bought in the USA - who made it
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
Hock glass would be a better description... French possibly. Yummy.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com