No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moss green nordic bottle - ID - Skruf  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Moss green nordic bottle - ID - Skruf
« on: March 01, 2006, 02:57:32 PM »
I have the feeling I should recognise this bottle but i've been through the books and missed it..... is it Holmegaard?

TIA
Ivo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 03:08:07 PM »
I've never seen any verified pieces in this decorative style of pressed glass or anything in this sage-ish green colour (only in a bright bottle-green and in a bluey-green - but then I'm constantly coming across lots of Holmegaard that is new to me!), but the stopper is very much in the style of Holmegaard's 1970's decanters.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 03:11:03 PM »
The stopper was used in Sweden (Reijmyre, Lindshammar and others) too, so maybe it is by Hellsten?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 03:43:16 PM »
My first instinct - and I'm probably way off the mark - was Finland. I seem to recall seeing some pieces attributed to E.T. Siiroinen a while ago with a few stylistic similarities.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 04:11:10 PM »
:D:D:D

And I've got an Iittala decanter (initialled TW) which has the same stopper.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David555

• Members
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 02:35:26 AM »
Hi

I think the item is Scandinavian.

There was a post about these stoppers

Apparently way back they bored a holed through a cheap coin - a cork and ring hoop were then required. The wire would go through the cork and up through the laid flat coin where it would hook around the ring hoop as a pull - this was used in most Scandinavian countries in 'Ye Olden Days'.

Eventually factories started making manufactured versions of these stoppers - like on Ivo's decanter/bottle. So it has to be Scandi?

It is a beautiful item and great to have the stopper - I have Lars Hellsten for Skrufs and Orrefors and they are clear glass - all the stuff I have seen by him is mainly clear glass/crystal.

I think could still be Skrufs - different designer, say 'Bengt Edenfalk' or ....

Ruda - mmmmm - the moulding seems too shallow and the design (Union Jacks!) to controlled - Actually I take that back if Ruda could be Gote Augustsson - especially the bottle shapes he loved

There are quite a few smaller concerns as well such as Alsterbro, I have seen some textured work by them

All this just IMHO

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Raoul Karlsson

• Members
    • http://www.gullaskruv.se
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 09:08:53 PM »
Skruf, Sweden
Collector of Gullaskruf.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 07:09:59 AM »
Thank you, Raoul. I'm delighted to have it identified  :D  :D  :D

Offline David555

• Members
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »
Hi Raoul

Good to know it is Skruf - any idea of designer, and was the pattern used on other items?

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Moss green nordic bottle
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 07:26:02 AM »
As a side light to this question, there was a family in Stockholm who had the rights to import cork to Sweden. This family also owned the small glass works at Skansen the major park in Stockholm.
You will see this cork on large numbers of Swedish glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand