No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness lamp base, any suggestions on how to remove fitting, help please  (Read 3191 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Re: Caithness lamp base, any suggestions on how to remove fitting, help please
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the ideas and input into my little problem, Ross I got your reply just too late........BUT, the warm water worked and touch wood everything seems to be fine with the base. I think I'll try the solvents to get the glue residue off the glass, most of it I was able to pick off but I want to get it totally clean before I fire more glue on it to put my new fitting in. ( although, as a vase now I really quite like it )

Thanks again, David

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
Instead of using glue you could try clear silicone sealant - it sticks to almost anything, fills gaps and can be removed (it does not discolour). Use it sparingly if you do though. It worked well on one of my lamps.

John

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »
 :hi: David if all else fails try a hammer .  :srn:   at arms length . :X:

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 12:21:23 PM »
Hi Guys,
 John, sealent is a good shout, I hadn't thought of that, but, the more I look at the base, the more i'm thinking of leaving it ' as is ' :thup:
Johnphillip, you don't work in my local garage do you?  it sounds as if you could be the same mechanic thats just finished ' fixing ' my car into bits :ho:

cheers again, D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand