No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: greeny yellow wine glasses hock? multi spiral air twist ID = Köln-Ehrenfeld  (Read 7711 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I bought these wine glasses today and was dithering between this set and another.  I have the chance to swap them if I want to.  I wondered if anyone could help with who they may be made by please? 
They are very fine and ring beautifully. None are marked.
I had thought they may be Venetian but now I'm wondering about that.  Any thoughts or directions to look in would be appreciated as all I come up with on air twist is antique clear glasses.  I don't know how old these are and I can't find coloured air twists apart from modern ones.  I feel these aren't contemporary but I could be wrong.
Many thanks  :sun:
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
They're lovely and well made and I'm sure the glass makers were top. But the design is somewhat flawed: as soon as you pour wine in them they become top heavy and the slightest nudge will topple them.  A set of 6 will just take one silly accident to become incomplete.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
mm, food for thought Ivo thanks.  They are supposed to be for high days and holidays, but I have children, one of whom is not capable of keeping his glass upright for much more than a minute  :o  Still, perhaps if I use a tablecloth.... ;D  I really like them.
I do think my photo is a little misleading as I was trying to show the shape of the bowl rather than the glass side on. The foot is quite large and they are quite balanced to look at, although the length of the stem of course means you are right.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Tried replacements.com ?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
yes I did Frank thanks.  All that came up were clear.
I'll have another look around now.  
I'm not so worried about the who, as I do really love them.  They are impeccably made.   I'm just in two minds as to whether to go back and be sensible and get something a little less delicate.  I'll sleep on it.  They are a fantastic colour and will look good and be nice to drink out of...however I'm now having visions of the perennial 'table cloth being accidentally yanked' and 'oops it was an accident' and wondering how sensible I'm really being here  ;D
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Have decided to keep  :ooh: so I was having another look this morning.
I have come up with a possible....Moser?
I found this as a good similar'ish' example of the knop (I'm not sure thats the right description but you know what I mean) between the stem and the bowl and I've found a good few examples that seem to be the same shape, with the slightly tapering stem, similar shaped bowl as well what looks to be the same air twist.  Admittedly of course it could be one of a number of people, but so far Moser seems to have the most similarities.  I'm hoping I might be on the right track and that they wouldn't be discounted?
http://moserglass.net/piece/161

m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Oh m,  I'm so pleased you have decided to keep them, you should have them if you love them.  If we all worried about potential breakages, we would be living in a 'Tinfoil and Tupperwear' home!  :o
Put them on view in a cabinet and by all means keep them for high days and holidays.....children grow up so fast and you will so love having them on the table to dine with friends.

They look lovely,  I adore airtwist stems....our poor substitute are Stuart Crystal Iona.....and we have at last started using them.

So, ENJOY them!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks Rosie - yes we will enjoy them.  As will the kids lol.  I'm looking on them as a substitute for buying a new Christmas dec each for the kids, which I normally do every  year.  Instead they can end up with a pair of glasses each to drink wine once they are older, whilst they decorate their own trees.  I thought that was good logic  ;D
I'm pretty sure they are older as well, so I'm pleased about that.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
There seems to be a Moser colour called Eldor which in some links  looks very similar to these glasses.  Could they be Eldor colour does anyone know?  There seems to be some variation on the links I found and I don't know which ones are correct and which are wishful thinking if you know what I mean.
Thanks
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
That style of knop is not uncommon, noticed it in both Nachtmann and Theresienthal catalogues I was browsing today.... neither of whom are likely candidates, try Daum,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand