No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: greeny yellow wine glasses hock? multi spiral air twist ID = Köln-Ehrenfeld  (Read 7665 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thank you Frank  :) will do.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Unmarked Daum does not happen. Unmarked Moser just might.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ok Ivo, thanks.  
I've uploaded a more representative picture now side on.
Measurements are 19.4cm height (7 6/10") ; diameter of foot 7.25cm (2 7/8"); diameter of rim of bowl 5.9cm (2 3/10")
I continued to look and I have found a pair of cameo glasses (unattributed) that seem to have the similar tapering stem and the similar double knop effect with the space in between
here
http://www.elegantfindingsantiques.com/glass/pages/cameo-goblets.htm

this is the closest glass I have found so far, in terms of shape and knop, unfortunately unattributed and not a good photo close up.  
Still searching, and thank you both for your much appreciated help.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Unmarked Daum does not happen. Unmarked Moser just might.

Does too! I have had some 20 years ago, took years to ID in those days too.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
side on picture now loaded in my most recent reply above.
Frank, I'm struggling to find Daum glasses to be honest.  But I will keep looking.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm tentatively wondering if another contender for these could be Saint-Louis?
I've found similar with an air twist stem, though not the same type,and with a similar cup bowl, though not identical.
I understand that not all Saint-Louis was marked prior to the 30's (if I remember correctly what I read yesterday).
I'm still erring on the side of Moser though for the moment.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
got it!!
Rheinische Glashutten A.G. Koln-Ehrenfeld c.1888?  Named range 'Wilhelm'
apfelgrune colour? actually having checked again they may be either Gelbgrunes or Schwach Grunes I think.
I think there is every possibility we won't be using these with the kids ...if I am right.
scroll down and third one down on the left - am I right?
http://glas-des-jugendstil.de/a2_KEH-Glaeser.htm
and here
http://www.glaswolf.de/Roemer-WILHELM-Rhein.210+B6YmFja1BJRD0yMTAmTD0xJnByb2R1Y3RJRD0xNTYzJnBpZF9wcm9kdWN0PTIxMCZkZXRhaWw9.0.html

edited - a bit more searching and this seems to have been on the board before
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,20626.msg116760.html#msg116760
Mine aren't marked....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Yes and No. Those look to be handmade in three parts, yours looks to have a machine made stem and foot IMHO. Modern copies/versions?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
No, I don't think mine are modern copies, in fact I'm pretty sure they aren't.

I'm not sure how you are defining that my stem is possibly machine made and the ones I linked to are hand made.  What differences are you seeing?  Would machine made stems have polished pontil marks on the bottom of them?
 As an aside mine measure the same.

Where would I investigate how you make machine made air twist stems and knops like this and who might be making machine made airtwists?
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Please note that in those websites quoted the model name is preceded by "ähnl." - which is "similar to".  It means that it has an air twist similar to the model which was identified as "Wilhelm" higher up on the page - but in no way does it identify the maker of the other air twists.

It should also be noted that there is no way you can make an air twist stem in an automatic or even semi-automatic machine. The stem is made separately, the foot is attached as a hot blob and formed in a clapper so that it is perfectly round and flat; it is then taken up on a pontil iron and attached to the bowl. This manufacturing process has to be identical for all air twist stems.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand