No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not Finnish Glass? but who? Possibly Oberglas  (Read 4055 times)

Offline NoviceMike

• Members
Not Finnish Glass? but who? Possibly Oberglas
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:19:37 PM »
Hi I bought this interesting glass vase/carafe in a charity shop. Would anyone have any idea of its maker and date. My limited knowledge guesses it is by Iittali and early 60s but i could be a long way off. Its height is 25cm / 9.75 inches. Thanks, Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Finnish Glass?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:26:02 AM »
You might try looking in these Finnish glass or Scandinavian glass sites.

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/scandinavian_glass/riihimaki_glass/riihimakiglass_home.htm   Riihimaki Glass
http://www.designlasi.com/en   Finnish Art Glass site
http://www.flickr.com/groups/811498@N25/pool/   Riihimaki Glass
http://www.marikan-maljakot.com/   Finnish vases

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 07:32:51 AM »
Hi Mike and welcome to the board.

I think your vase was made by Oberglas Austria some time during the 1980s. No guarantee though - it is a guess.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »
I would agree with Ivo. :thup:
The rim and overall design do look like Oberglas to me (although I can't remember having seen this shape).
At least it doesn't look Fiinnish to me...

Michael

Offline NoviceMike

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
Thanks for looking and your suggestions. I've looked at Oberglas and it seems to have to much flare in the texture to have made my vase. Mine is very geometric in arrangement of texture. I looked at Finnish sites you suggested and still keep coming back to Iittala, namely Ultima Thule: Wirkkala, Tapio Iittala (1968) series mine having elements of the carafe goblets and the waist of the candle holder from this range. Is Wirkkala the designer? Still not convinced though, more ideas welcomed, thanks, Mike

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:09 PM »
Definitely NOT Iittala, definitely NOT Ultima Thule. Sticking to Oberglas.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
Ultima Thule items have a very distinctive pattern and this is not it. Here are some Thule bits: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/ScandinavianGlass#5511635898178185906

A photo of the base of your vase Mike may well be useful.

John

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 01:21:57 PM »
Mike, Just to be sure you get it. Definitely not Iittala. Absolutely nothing to do with Ultima Thule. Not Finnish at all.
In my eyes this vase/caraffe is more like a practical one not that much of a design object - that could be the reason for not finding so  many pictures of it in the internet.
I do believe Oberglas if these guys say so, I thought of mass produced Italian when I first saw it.
Welcome to the board, looking forward to seeing more of your finds in the future.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 01:57:01 PM »
Joining in the chorus, Mike this does note look Scandinavian to me.  My first thoughts were of companies like Ravenhead, etc. who make items in the thousands.  If I found that in Australia I would suspect - made in Indonesia or Thailand, for instance.  I am not really expert on Scandinavian glass but if you go to http://www.glassphotographs.com/ a site associated with this one, and go to the very first item under Category - GMB Users Galleries and then go to page 9 second last person you will get to my 'ahremck' galleries.  On page three of my galleries are some 300+ photos of Scandinavian glass that I am certain is Scandinavian glass.

The point I am trying to make is that glass seems to travel and you need to be flexible about where any given piece comes from.  You also need to be patient - just recently MAX - one of the moderators has found out about a piece of his by L. Dostal because I had enquired and others were able to help us find more - 6 years later.  Good luck with your collecting - you need to believe there are lots of us willing and wnating to help you attribute correctly BUT it may not happen.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »
Oi oi Ross!  You might want to take note of my signature under my postings!   :24: :24:

Very good of you to go to the trouble of putting those links above for the original poster.  Nice one.   :thup:

I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand