No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart ??? No!  (Read 1881 times)

Offline casalibre

• Members
Ysart ??? No!
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Roger H

• Members
Re: Ysart ??? No!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:57:03 PM »
 You may be right, but there is still a tentative connection to Vincent Ysart as he died in 1971 at the age of 62 I understand. An advertising ploy I suppose.
        Roger, over and out.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:27:47 AM »
If it is Vasart then it is Ysart if it is Strathearn after Vincent left then it is Ysart (style) so surely an accurate if not sufficiently so description.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:57:12 AM »
Don't know about the weight.

But when I first joined the CPC (as it was then) "Ysart" on its own was used by many of the longer-term collectors to mean "Paul Ysart" and "Vasart" covered both "Ysart Brothers (Vasart)" and "Vasart Ltd". Inkwells that were considered to be by Salvador Ysart (maybe because they did not seem to by Paul) were often just called "Monart". This continued even though soon after, "Vasart" became the regular term for a number of collectors for any Inkwell with stripes in the neck & well portions. And any "Ysart" inkwell that had a clear neck & well portion was always said to be by Paul Ysart - even if it was full canes that are not normally seen in Paul's work!

Sellers' descriptions were always brief and I suppose it was easier to use "Ysart" to cover anything that looked remotely like it might be the work of Paul or Salvador Ysart. Although some sellers these days do make an effort to justify their descriptions, there are lots who still use "Ysart" in a very generic manner. I eventually stopped asking eBay sellers if they could share any information they had that might prove the description, especially for Salvador Ysart. :)
KevinH

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »
  Frank, when did Vincent leave strathearn, I had only assumed he stayed there until he died? Regards Roger.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
My understanding Vincent left Strathearn late 1965 and started working for G.A.F.& L.A. in Perth in 1966.
Gary

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 01:26:56 PM »
   Thanks Gary,yes ,had a reread of reference books and about a year after strathearn took over Vincent left for elsewhere. Reading between the lines, it seems the new owners,not stuart Drysdale, were more interested in volume sales than perhaps Vincent was. So having said that, strathearn weights I could only say had Ysart style foundations.
      But that could be said of most scottish weight manufacturers,some more than others. I'm sure they would be proud to say so. Regards Roger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand