No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small 'Nerox' Bowl w/ Lion & Putti Prunts  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Small 'Nerox' Bowl w/ Lion & Putti Prunts
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
I've had this one a while, but haven't been able to trace a maker.

It's a dark purple glass with a metallic surface decoration very similar to Fratelli Toso's 'Nerox'. There are two putti and two lion's head prunts arranged around the side. Applied base is finished with a snapped-off pontil mark (the only place where the base colour shows through).

Thanks for looking.  :)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Small 'Nerox' Bowl w/ Lion & Putti Prunts
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »
That is gorgeous !!!    :thup:

I am  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Does the lion face have some aventurine in it?     .... and what is Nerox ??
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 12:40:27 PM »
Thanks for taking a peek - it is a nice one, isn't it?  :)

Any colouring you see is entirely on the surface. The treatment makes the glass completely opaque and gives it a sheen like aged metal.

Fratelli Toso 'Nerox' vases with similar surface treatment:
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/8742973
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5747057

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:34:27 PM »
Nic:

That's a lovely piece. Is it fumed?  I've never seen a Fratelli Toso nerox with no other colour on it. Usually the nerox is simply used for a a very effective background. I had a look through Pina's book on FT, which has a few nerox vases, but no bowls.  ALthough some of the peices seem to have a had a surface treatment, none have quite as much as yours. The surfaces of the pieces in the link you give look a lot more like the surface of your piece. Fingers crossed (but it's gorgeous whatever).

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »
I'm afraid I'm not au fait enough with fumed glass to be able to say if this is or isn't for sure, but the treatment does look to have a more 'brushed on' effect.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
I don't know if other factories were producing Nerox-style glass, or if FT employed it discrete from the more famous Ermanno Toso designs...

I did notice, however, that this anonymous offering from Design & Arts has an identically-moulded lion's head prunt. I don't know if that could help reveal a maker?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Groser-Krug-Murano-Glas-Kanne-Klar-Gold-mit-Lowenkopf-Medaillon-Luftblasen-/350500519755?pt=Glas_Kristall&hash=item519b757f4b

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 10:38:43 AM »
It's gorgeous, Nic.
All I can shove in are a few random thoughts.
S&W did a range of iridescent pieces with lion head prunts, called Caerleon, in 1929. (ref. Lesley Jackson's 20th Century Glass, p.196. But I think your piece looks a bit thick to be this - however, I've never handled a piece.

It does look fumed.

Other makers I know who have done this sort of fumed black background (with and without coloured inclusions) are Bertil Vallien for Kosta Boda and Will Shakespeare. (I can get pics of the last two if you'd like).
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »
Hullo Sue. Thanks for taking a look, and for your insights on fumed glass (I had to Google it when it was first mentioned :-[).

Design & Arts, the company linked to above with the identically prunted pitcher, almost exclusively source their wares from Murano... so I'd say there's a more than good chance that mine is also Muranese.

But, if it's absolutely no bother for you, I'm always up for looking at photos of new glass.  ;D

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 11:13:56 AM »
????

Think I saw some Murano glass items somewhere with heads/or lions on them -- being called Masks (as a decorative word) to describe them....or Mask punts.

I think.......???  :thud: ????
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »
Will Shakespeare partially cased bottle - unfumed - but with a very interesting texture and coloured inclusions and a Bertil Vallien partially cased bottle, fumed.
(I desperately want a Bertil Vallien "Brains" sculpture - but had to lower my sights a bit to owning one of his bums.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand