No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carlsberg barware G.R excise mark  (Read 5222 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Carlsberg barware G.R excise mark
« on: October 25, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »
My recollection of beers available in the 70s consists of draught and keg beers and with the advent of the package holiday people got a taste for the continental lager type beers and the breweries obliged. Suddenly it was trendy to drink Carling black label and Skol uggh with the customary dash of lime juice.
So really surprised when I picked up these glasses today all identical but one hardly used the other a little more so and the last one well worn with a crown over G.R excise capacity half pint mark complete with a deep etched capacity fill line mark.
Presume George V1 ( 1936-1952 ) hard to imagine people sat in pubs in 1940s drinking Carlberg lager not in Yorkshire anyway  ;D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-1YNufmTEuXs/Tqb7RZxaKHI/AAAAAAAATFs/1NgHRj_Q3I4/s640/SDC10607.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-nz_wzFlJcZ4/TqbQGeWaf-I/AAAAAAAATFU/AqBzKWwzJCc/s640/SDC10612.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-YKxnOzaYQNQ/TqbQAE56bkI/AAAAAAAATFI/FYbbRBehmbY/s640/SDC10610.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RsTVsmaw1HU/TqbP5zldfpI/AAAAAAAATHE/f9wYjlCVqAM/s512/SDC10608.JPG

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Carlsberg barware G.R excise mark
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:41 AM »
It doesn't of course mean that the glass is British, just that it was made for the UK market.

Offline jimbo1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:20:31 PM »
Hi Chris,

I used to work in the brewery trade and I seem to remember that draught lager was not introduced until the late 60's, the whole process of dispensing lager is different to the classic ale handpull. Whereas ale is pulled through a handpull (manual pumped) lager needs to be gas assisted to give it the bite and the bubbles (late 60s/early 70s invention)

I believe these glasses will date to the 70's and are probably German or Czech, customs and excise will stamp the glasses and today stamp "government approved" maybe that is the "GR" early stamp (only a guess though)

Also, I think Nazing used to supply a lot of transfer printed items to the brewery trade (glass ashtrays mostly) so that could also be an avenue to investigate - need to check my books but stand to be corrected.

Cheers

James

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:02 PM »
It was probably bottled beer... that is the mark for George Rex

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 08:16:57 PM »
Thanks James makes a lot of sense now, thinking about it outside the box the bottled beer theory sounds good especially being only half pint measures which ties in nicely with being poured out of a bottle too.
Christine you need to expand your answer I am even more confused now with the stamp.
Chris

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »
George Rex - King George, presumably the sixth of that name.

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 09:04:24 PM »
Even more confused now, history is not my strongest subject but always though George Rex referred to George 111 father of George 1V this all getting a bit complicated.

Chris 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
Royalty sign themselves George R, Edward R, Elizabeth R, Victoria R, etc. R = Rex = King; R = Regina = Queen. Take a look at some Royal souvenirs, or some old beer glasses or even an old post box or two and you'll see what I mean. It's just Latin.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »
Chris — I've just read this topic for the first time and saw that your glasses also carry the official Weights and Measures Office Number of 542.   Without this number the validity of the mark couldn't have been checked, the mark would therefore have been invalid, and the use of the glass as a measure would have been a serious offence.

What is nice about these numbers is that they can add interesting details, such as likely manufacturing glassworks locations.   So I looked up 542 and, instead of the location of a Weights and Measures Office, my list has the entry "539–544 Unappropriated".    :spls:

Fortunately the compiler of my list explains in the introduction.   He explains that numbers described as "unappropriated" were issued mainly in the years following 1946, together with re-issuing numbers that had become obsolete by 1907.   In 1946 the decision was made to allocate one number per inspector, rather than one number per office, increasing the numbers from 636 to about 1650.   Also I wouldn't be at all surprised if new numbers were given to Weights and Measures Offices whose records had been destroyed during the war.   I've never seen an "unappropriated" or re-issued number before, mine always seem to be along the lines of "323 Gateshead".

So, although we don't have a location, we do have a date.   Your glasses were made in the years 1947 to 1952 inclusive.   Lovely.   It's not often possible to date glass so accurately.

Your local Weights and Measures Office should be able to tell you about 542, as they must have lists.   Please let us know if you discover more.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »
Hi Bernard, someone I know from the days when I sold pewter tankards gave me a link to this site, information apparently derived from the 1996 publication  "Marks and marketing of weights of the British Isles" by C.Ricketts
After typing 342 [Mod: actually 542] in the search box it came up with: West Ham 1921-1965 Newham London Borough for the Weights and Measures Office. [ * ]

http://www.antique-metalware.co.uk/uvnumbers2.asp

Chris

[* Mod: Also note that the entry actually splits the "Newham" part as "1965-" as a separate borough from 1965.]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand