No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Overshot lampshade - thought possibly Harrach or Kralik but maybe French?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I've been searching for this and not come up with anything other than thoughts that are in the title.  It reminds me of a bowl (brides? bowl) that has been attributed to Harrach if I remembered correctly.
Graduated lemony green to clear, with a gorgeous edging (some damage on some points).
 How is that edging done so beautifully, does anyone know?
How is the colouring done so it graduates clear to the green?  is it like the red to clear pieces, done in a similar way?
Overshot glass on the outside smooth on the inside.
Has 6 bulbous ribs making up the top of the shade.
Fitter rim diameter 1 1/20th" or 27mm, drop 9.5cm diameter 15cm, 4 'panels' or swags of glass down and 4 up.
thanks for looking  :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Only thing I can say is that I believe you are correct in your thinking it was at one time a bowl later modified into a shade & certainly not the first time I've seen this type of modification usually on piece originally damaged.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
That's interesting. I actually didn't think it was an adapted bowl to be honest.  It was just that the overshot, frilliness, and graduated colour reminded me of a brides bowl I'd seen.  I think the design and shape look as though it was originally made as a lampshade.  There is a definite ribbed bulged section that looks as though it would go around the lamp bulb and sit properly surrounding it, and then the frilled edge.  The fitter rim looks appropriately done and is ground and bevelled.  Interesting though....I shall explore that option more as well.  Thanks  :sun:
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I don't think it was a bowl; the base isn't wide enough. The green looks like uranium! We had a triangular handled dish with that sort of fancy cut and crimp a while ago. No ID though

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Christine, my blacklight isn't working that well, but unfortunately no I don't think it is uranium glass - it does look like it should be though even in daylight.
I also am pretty sure as you say, that this was designed as a lamp shade.  It would just practically fall over as a bowl as the base is only the size of the fitter rim, about as big as a large pontil mark, and the frilled edges would overbalance it.
The crimp is lovely, presumably done with a gadget of some sort?
Do you have pics of the triangular bowl, or was it on the gmb somewhere?  I feel this is possibly Bohemian, but the bulge ribs make me think of Kralik pieces, yet the overshot, graduated colour and frills make me think Harrach (because it reminds me of that bowl).  Bit of a mystifier this one.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I found it but the crimp wasn't even close, though that was hand done. Your is definitely mechanically aided.

Offline angel2

• Members
 :angel: :angel:

This style of lampshade is often known to be French - some have a cranberry/pink tinge. I don't know if that will help in your search but usually sold on eBay by people living in France. Very attractive!

angel2

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
French ones are probably mostly new(ish) certainly in the 1980s you saw these everywhere in Paris markets along with all sorts of other shades that are sold as old... it made Christopher Wrays, also new, look expensive.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi Frank
confused :-\ are you thinking my overshot one is new'ish'?  I feel sure it isn't :-X :ooh:
Thanks angel 2  :) I'm not entirely convinced this is French though.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ok before I dig myself into a hole  :) isn't a French fitter rim width wider than 27mm normally (27mm is standard for GB fitter rims).
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand