No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Precision cut owl paperweight - Poss. Whitefriars or Webb Corbett?  (Read 4668 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Precision cut owl paperweight - Poss. Whitefriars or Webb Corbett?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:30:30 PM »
I have just been researching Sandwich Glass Works of the 1850's.   Their designs do include cut overlay glass and some of  pieces do also have the lemon squeeze design.   It's just a thought  ::).

Ebay Item No. 251615088964 reveals some caithness flash paperweights.   Pictures are not great and no pictures to the base area, but could be an avenue I could go down also, then again, surely all Caithness paperweights are marked?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 07:12:11 AM »

Hi Otis.

I don't think the seller of the eBay item intends to say they are Caithness pieces (which they are definitely not..).  He does not mention that in the description, other than in a pre-filled 'maker' slot, and I think he has just used 'cut and paste' of a previous advert and forgotten to change the maker.  I will try and photograph my Manage paperweight and post some images.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »
Fuhrman Glass, I'm going to ask a moderator to remove your email address from your post to save you getting harvested by spammy things!

You can add your own contact address by putting it in the envelope under your name.  (put it in your profile).
or, if you muct use your email address, write it with extra spaces, use AT instead of @, say dot instead of  .

If you would like to send me images I can resize them for you to post onto the board. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »

Hi Otis

As promised, here are images of my Belgian paperweight from the Manage factory (c. 1850 to 1930). You will see it is a heavily cut flash overlay in lilac, very much of the style of yours.  It is 3 3/8 inch / 84 mm diameter, 2 1/2 inch / 63 mm tall.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 01:35:58 AM »
Firstly I must say thank you for taking the time to post your pics.   Appreciated!  I very much see what you mean by the similarity Alan.  That was mainly my problem.   I did not have anything really to compare or conclude mine with.   I'm still not sure if conclude is the correct word to use  ::), but understand what you mean by the heavily cut overlay.    The lemon squeeze base pattern design is also a common feature amongst many glass makers and that too can throw you completely off track.   I still have not come across any Belgian paperweight with the same type of pattern design though.   But with the information you have provided will hopefully catapult me closer, but that's wishfull thinking when very little is know about the factories  ;D.   

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
Oh! Alan,  I found this gem of a paperweight this morning, ruby uranium cut. Belgian as well.    It  appears to have limited amount of cuts, when compared to mine. Probably an item that was  listed on Ebay at some point.   No idea what price it would of been listed for though.  Looks very similar to mine too in style, do you not think? which would suggest your earlier comments, that it might be Val St Lambert.   

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/341921796681785833/

The image design to me does look art deco and in a simplistic geometrical form.  The base design on this particular paperweight is star shaped and three dimensional.  I am not sure if the rear is the same design as the front shown on display, however, a most beautiful paperweight and wouldn't it be nice, to add to ones collection.  ;D.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
I wondered if this bore any resemblance to your paperweight Otis... it is a Ram,  and as yours is an owl, I wondered if it might be part of an animal series by Val St Lambert?

http://antiques-collectibles.ecrater.com/p/7178895/val-st-lambert-glass-wiccan#
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 01:56:03 AM »
Hi Rosie,   The picture quality and background used might be the reason for my uncertainly.    Not sure where the resemblance is, but want rule out that it could possible be animal series.  Even though I am assuming they are crystal, the Seller does not mention this in their description.     I just can't see the similarity in quality or design, even though stated, made by St Val Lambert.  It is very difficult to attribute my paperweight to any one specific maker, but do feel I am steering close based upon information gathered, however, still awaiting in anticipation of a possible positive i.d.   Your help is very much appreciated!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand