No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Precision cut owl paperweight - Poss. Whitefriars or Webb Corbett?  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Crystal cut paperweight in the shape of an owl.  Unknown on Whitefriars Site.  Unable  to find any further leads.  Approx. 5cm in height and 7cm Dia.

Can anyone assist please.  Thanks
::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Precision cut owl paperweight - Poss. Whitefriars or Webb Corbett?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
No idea who made it, sorry Otis.  By the way I really like it I would have bought it too.   :thup:

Your thought about Webb might be a good one.  I have only seen very simplistic topwindow and 6 side windows cut to clear type work in a gold and a green.  But the overlay looks possible.

I also think that Val St Lambert would be worth a try - they make really well finished cut to clear product.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:59:38 PM »
Firstly, thanks Anne!! 

Hi Ross,  Thank you for your reply.  I tried the Whitefriars site as a last resort and they too are unsure.  I was so excited and still am, that is, in the purchasing of this paperweight, solely because of the colouration, weight, cuts and design.  Personally, one of the best paperweights I have ever acquired, regardless of the initial outlay.  I only spotted it by off chance, as it was tucked away behind items displayed on a shelf. There was no price tag, so I ended up negotiating a deal.   I will most definitely investigate via. Val St Lambert.  Any positive leads, I will  let you know.  I am so intrigued in trying to find out who made it.  It is in perfect condition and someone must of put in a considerable amout of time and effort in order to design  such a high quality piece.  Once again, many thanks for you help.

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
Looking at my past posts, I stumbled across this and thought I would bring it out of the darkness with the hope that someone could shed some light onto it.   I attempted to carry out some more research, but not having much luck.   I must say, having again looked at Val St Lambert glass, I am not entirely sure there is any connection.    It's a vey unsusual paperweight, which does raise attention.   A considerable amount of work is gone into the design of this paperweight.  I am making reference to ground areas and cuts to give that prism effect on the reflection of light through the sky blue tint overlay.   I am hoping someone maybe able to recognise and provide answers.  Looking at the face of the owl, no side is the same. The paperweight weighs 0.5kg and is very heavy for it's actual size.   I appreciate any help but do understand that it is difficult to make identities on all items discovered.  Thought I would attach some extra pics in order to assist.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:20:09 PM »

Hi.  My first thought was Val St Lambert, but it might also be from another Belgian factory: Manage.

There is a useful site describing Belgian glass factories here: http://www.hogelandshoeve.nl/index45.html

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 04:53:15 PM »
I've got a wfs owl, it's really quite crude and minimalist; not very well cut.
The "eyes" are supposed to be rough-cut, for the texture, but this ends up overlapping onto the main body in tons of "fleabites" which I originally thought should not be there, but was told this is normal.  ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
I had a similar weight that was cut by Kinver Crystal that I purchased about 25years ago. No idea who actually produced the glass. Mine had a deep red overlay and then cut thru to clear. I think I sold it but may still have it packed away somewhere. My piece had a Kinver Crystal label on it.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
 :)
Not a very good pic of a wfs owl. The beak is just a single, vertical elliptical shaped cut, but it's got caught up with reflections.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »
Hi Alan,   Quite possibly, could be Belgian,  but tbh I am still drawn to Webb. Whilst researching I did also try looking at Kinver weights, but not having much luck with that either. 

It would be very interesting if you still have the kinver weight, but if your anything like me.  It will be like looking for a niddle in a haystack.   ;D

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 09:46:50 PM »
Otis: send me your private e-mail and I'll send you some photos of the Kinver weight that is close. I have problems getting things resized for this group.
Tom
Fuhrman Glass
[Mod: email address removed to foil spam harvester. Please use the email icon below Tom's details on the left.]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand