No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carnaby vs. Palet  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« on: March 02, 2006, 02:19:19 PM »
I have to admit, I'm reasonably new when it comes to collecting Holmegaard's cased glass output, and so my knowledge is as patchy as my collection!  :lol:

As I understand it, though, Palet was an early 1970's kitchenware range designed by Michael Bang and it included mugs, spice jars, cruets, bowls, etc...

And Carnaby was earlier, initially designed by Lutken then expanded by other designers (Christer Holmgren to name but one), and was composed of trendy-shaped vases aimed at the 'yoof' market of then...

Many eBay auctions - and especially books - seem to be a bit pick 'n' mix with which name they use, though. And sometimes it's 'Palet' and other times it's 'Palette'.

Understandably, I'm confused. Are my initial assumptions wrong?

What I think of as Carnaby (The white vase is in Miller's 50's & 60's glass as Palette):

And Palet:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 04:23:31 PM »
You're right about Palet which was designed 1970/71 and produced in Odense.

Carnaby was from 1968, also produced in Odense and designed by Lütken. However, it is not cased. The book shows 2 examples,  very much in the pompadour style, in ruby red.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 04:41:27 PM »
Which book? Miller's Glass of the '50s & 60s only has one Pompadour-style vase from Holmegaard, and that's the white vase I have, but in red.

Are the vases also Palet, then? All three of mine are cased in clear or coloured glass.

Argh, it's really frustrating asking such basic questions! Hopefully I'll have a copy of Glass Is Life before the month is out, and in a fantasy world I'll stumble across Dansk Glas at a sane price.  :lol:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 07:36:53 PM »
The book, as before, is Dansk Glas 1925-1975. I'd guess the colour cased wares are all "Palet" by Michel Bang.
The example you found in Nigel's book is actually captioned "Palette vase by Per Lütken".
The true Carnaby vases are these:

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 08:01:02 PM »
Just had a look through Glass is Life and I don't think it's going to help re this  - one uncaptioned picture on page 36 of this type (red, uncased).

taylog1

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 08:17:43 PM »
I've seen these shapes cased and described as Carnaby, though.

Somewhere I've a scan from a Holmegaard catalogue and it shows these designs on the same pages as the designs for the vases I have.

Would it be against copyright things to show them?

I've never actually seen them for sale uncased, though. Wow.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 08:20:30 PM »
Ah, I don't have to post them myself:

AUCTION

Could it be that they're still Carnaby, just a later cased glass version - as happened with the Gulvase?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »
Also, a stylistic feature of the Palet kitchenware range is that all the pieces have their own moulded pedestals/feet:

Would that not continue on the vases, which all have Carnaby-style flat bases, to some degree? And again with the angular Palet rims not being shared by the vases

I'm not trying to be difficult, honest.  :D

As a secondary question - is there a reason that the uncased Carnaby vases never seem to come onto the market?

I read somewhere long ago that production of Carnaby ran for 8 years, and that auction says 7 years... so... my completely unfounded specualtion is that the production of Carnaby changed from uncased to cased early on - probably when Palet took off - accounting for the large numbers of cased items in the patterns you showed and the gold-dust quality of the uncased ones.

Possibility or pure hokum?

Edit: In Glass of the '50s & '60s there's a reference to Carnaby being cased on pg. 28 when Nigel says that the cased Blenko piece could easily be mistaken for it.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 09:53:46 AM »
Quote from: "Pinkspoons"
I'm not trying to be difficult, honest.  :D

sorry the only thing I can positively identify as Carnaby are the two uncased ruby red vases I showed you underneath. But as the auction said

According to old catalogue-material from Holmegaard the Carnaby-series consists of at least 14 different items - all manufactured in opal/opal and 5 colours:  coral/opal, orange/opal, blue/opal, yellow/opal and yellow/yellow.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Carnaby vs. Palet
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 10:13:41 AM »
No problem. Hopefully someone out there might have the answer.  :)

Will be interesting to find out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand