No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: DUR-X GLASS FRUIT and CAKE KNIFE  (Read 20444 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
DUR-X GLASS FRUIT and CAKE KNIFE
« on: March 03, 2006, 03:34:56 AM »
Just in — A 9" green "DUR-X GLASS FRUIT AND CAKE KNIFE", with box and most of the printed tissue paper wrapping.

See Walter Lemiski, Glass Knives.

Three queries:

1. The patent.

The knife is marked "PAT.D.112059" and the box "PATENT D.112059".   What does the "D" stand for?   "Draft", perhaps, like a provisional patent?   The number could also be an American-style date, November 20, 1959.

How did Lemiski find "a gadget designed and patented by a certain John Didio of Buffalo, New York in November 1938"?

2. The printed tissue wrapping.

Lemiski only provides an edited version, and frustratingly mine is missing most of the bottom line, which ends:

... ... ... ...ll, Ashbury Park, N. J.

Please would some kind person help me out with the first part of this line of text.

3. Any ideas on the manufacturing glassworks?

Thanks for your interest.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Connie

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:31:16 AM »
D - stands for Design.  It is a Design patent number.

Definetly American.  I have sold them before.  Once I wake up (haven't had my coffee yet), I will look for an attribution.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:37:39 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7345535843&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3ADE%3A1&rd=1

Bernard, I am watching this item since its start - it is Cheri's (member of GMB) auction (Alma's Attic)
and could at least be an answer to 2.)  :?:

:)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Connie

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 10:48:10 AM »
Bernard -

I forgot to answer your question on how he found the info on the patent.

A link to the U.S. Patent Office

http://www.uspto.gov/

On the left is the search button.  D- stands for design so search in the design database for the number.

From that link  I found the patent

The full text patent is not available for the item just the drawing.  The text  from the first link you quoted sounds like ad copy and he must have found that on an old ad.

Edited because I told you I wasn't fully awake!:

Pamela is correct.  Cheri's listing answers your 2nd question.  The letters are not "ll" - Cheri states the tissue reads "Kitchen Gadget Company, Asbury Park, NJ"

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 05:39:34 PM »
Hi

the boxed knife I have in my eBay store has no markings on the knife itself, other than the personal inscription. The markings are on the box and on thew tissue paper wrapping.

However, another pink knife that I had (no box) does have a DUR-X and other marks on the glass itself.

It is on its way to a deserving new home so hopefully its new owner will be able to provide the details on its markings soon  :wink:

There is a whole section devoted to these knives in Florence's "Kitchen Glassware of the Depression Years"

HTH

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 07:14:42 PM »
Bernard and all
a lovely coincidence !
After Cheri had listed the one shown above, I had asked her for her utmost price for it. As there is no level to negotiate that one, Cheri instantly  DONATED another slightly chipped one to my Pressglas-Pavillon - it is still in the post. Thank you so much again Cheri!
I shall show it soonest.
Quite frank, I always thought these could only have been letter openers on a lady's desk  :oops:

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/besteck/01884.html

Did you know that very expensive ceramic knives are in the market still today: Boker - I think german, incredibly sharp  8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 07:55:31 PM »
Pamela
these glass knives are really sharp too!

And on the box of the one I still have, it says it will not stain from fruit acids.

When you get the other one, you will see that the chips are all in the form of little nicks along the knife edge...so clearly caused by cutting, perhaps something a little harder than fruit or a cake ! :roll:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »
Baccarat made them too, 1930's.

If anyone finds one, please let me know :wink:

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 09:44:59 PM »
Pamela

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 12:22:14 AM »
So glad it has arrived safely Pamela :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum