No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Was all 1970s Dartington made at Dartington?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Was all 1970s Dartington made at Dartington?
« on: October 20, 2011, 06:41:41 AM »
On his website Andy McConnell states that some 1970s Dartington glass was made at Nazeing. I can't find any mention of this in either Dartington book. Has anyone else heard this from another reliable source? Would anyone who knows Stephen email him?

Here is an example (though I think this is actually the later FT383 from 1985 but the text illustrates what I'm saying)  http://decanterman.com/Image%20Gallery/Dartington/files/page30-1075-full.html

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Was all 1970s Dartington made at Dartington?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »
Those grapefruit bowls look centrifuge cast (like Daisy and Hollywood items) perhaps Nazeing had the necessary machinery.

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 10:25:07 AM »
They are and the sweet corn dishes. Nazeing did have the kit, e.g., for its Wild Rose range

Offline orange-alert.co.uk

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
They out sourced quite a lot of production as far as I am aware. Some were made in Scandinavia including the pasta jars (Magnor, Norway). The floor vases were made by Wood Brothers in Yorkshire and driven down by a member of staff in a rented van, and I think it is correct that Nazeing made the centrifuge pieces (though Mark Hills book states that Dartington had a centrifuge). After the merger split with Kings Lynn as well. All from memory so I hope I am correct.

Offline orange-alert.co.uk

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
OK final answer. Thanks to Charles R Hajdamach 20th Century British Glass. Apparently when Dartington bought their centifuge they could not fit it in immediately in Torrington so installed it at Nazeing who made the pieces for them.
That is all!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 06:53:26 AM »
So what you're saying is that an early centrifugal design might have been made at Nazeing but there is no way of telling unless the production of particular design ceased before the centrifuge went to Torrington.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »
Hi,

Stephen Pollock-Hill very kindly showed me the moulds for the centrifugally made Dartington bowls, which are still held at Nazeing.

Of course, there are the large pieces made by Wood Brothers for Dartington to Frank Thrower designs, in 1978 for 6 months, which were therefore outsourced as well - see page 80 of the Smithson book.

Nigel

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »
I know about the Woods vases, but do we know which stuff was made at Dartington or for how long. Or was it all the cast FT stuff, which takes us into the late 1980s. I'm just being curious here.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:42:27 AM »
Christine,

Quite honestly, I don't believe this is the right place to get the answer. Although authors of books do their level best to be accurate, one is reliant upon what is put into the book(s) and what is left out. Therefore, surely the best way to assuage your curiosity would be to contact both Dartington and Nazeing - otherwise we are likely to be left with informed guesswork. It would be a great piece of original research.  :thup:

The Woods was a reference to the title of the thread and there had been no mention...............

Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand