No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Luna?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Luna?
« on: March 04, 2006, 05:01:50 PM »
I bought this thinking it was a Davidsons "Luna" vase only to find that the "Luna" vases are square shaped and graduated in colour. This one is Hexagon shaped and 7 inches high.

Any ideas?

Thanks.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Luna?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 05:09:36 PM »
I have one of these Tigger, in red. Ivo identified it as possibly Empoli and Adam P. posted a link for me to another thread;

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1809.0.html
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Luna?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 06:24:42 PM »
Thanks, I saw that link but I'm just a little bit confused because my vase has the same style of pattern as this:
Whitefriars.com

So the hexagon shaped ones possibly Empoli.  :)

Here's another one.
Whitefriars.com
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Luna?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 06:44:38 PM »
I read those posts too. I am not sure about your opinion on these vases, but they certainly don't feel cheap copies of anything to me.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Luna?
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 07:38:25 PM »
Cheap to buy? Possibly. Cheap looking? That depends on how much you like it.  :lol:

Cheap copies? Judging by pictures of Davidsons Luna, it looks like the same sort of quality.

Woolworths - for some people - turned out be cheap and definetly not nasty. Clarice Cliff and Pedigree dolls for example, though I've no idea how much they sold them for originaly.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Luna?
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 07:54:55 PM »
I don't have any Davidson to compare it to, so I don't know. I have only seen the Luna range vases etc. on the Internet.
I love Woolworths especially their pick 'n mix and I have just found out that there is one quite near to us, just over the border in Germany. When I was a child, it was a frequently visited shop for us, because it was affordable, definitely not cheap for us

Offline B & M

• Members
Luna?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 09:09:18 AM »
To my knowledge non of these vases are Luna. Davidson's Luna range was not cased and the pieces are much heavier than these.
Some Luna pieces are shown on Chris & Val Stewart's excellent site here:
http://cloudglass.com/Gallerypostwar.htm

I've had a few of these cased hexagonal and square vases in various colours. I still don't know who made them but one carried a foil label reading 'Best Art glass, Foreign'.

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Luna?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 03:43:12 PM »
I can just remember (as a child, of course!!) UK Woolworths in the 1930s.  They still had "3d and 6d Stores" above the shops and were still struggling to maintain that promise.  For example, a table lamp might have been 6d for the base, 6d for the lampholder and 6d for the shade.  If, as I understand, they were really selling Clariss Cliff (sp?) then each piece must have been 6d (or less!).  For the children among you, that of course was 2 1/2pence.

Adam D.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Luna?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »
Adam, you may find this site of interest... a real trip down memory lane for you. :) http://museum.woolworths.co.uk/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand