No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ruby glass with clear glass ball foot - ID + Anchor Hocking Boopie  (Read 3611 times)

Offline OxfordElla

• Members
I have four of these - I'm thinking czech(?) I am sure I have seen something like them in the czech glass review archive - but have simply not had the time to go back and trawl all the way through again at the moment (only had the time to get to 1956 last week!). Please help - I would like to i.d. for my charity vintage exhibition (see my other posts for more info and to help on other items)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-arts-in-mind/6319633265/in/photostream 

much obliged for any help -

Eleanor :t: have a cuppa with me!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: ruby glass with clear glass ball foot
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »
Anchor Hocking, Berwick pattern aka Boopie, produced 1940-1965

Offline OxfordElla

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:20:09 PM »
thank you so much - and for your help on another post - Eleanor -

p.s. as you are uranium towers, perhaps you will like this interesting one- I have recently got a pair of Edward Moore 1860s uranium chalice goblets for 50p with no idea at the time what they were except I could tell they were early  (I later found an i.d. pic which matches exactly on 1st. Glass website) and the interesting thing is that although the goblets are DEFINATELY a pair - one is slightly taller than the other! I know they were pressed by hand as I have been reading Charles Hajabach's book on 19th C. glass- so what do you think? was one mould slightly bigger than the other? did the stem of one get a bit "stretched" as it came out? I will post with on Brit glass board later - but i need to upload it to flickr first!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
Whitefriars used a lot of plain ball nopps on their glasses and ruby was poular with them , they used it on some Brandy glasses
 i notice you have a W/Fs vase with label .

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Old pressed glass like the Edward Moore's does vary slightly. It's much more likely that one used slightly more glass than the other or there was some slight deformation during finishing. It's unlikely that the moulds will have been different if these two came as a pair.

You are better not to use flickr. Please use the attach facility on the board, that way your pictures stay here for reference and will not disappear.

Offline thomas

• Members
Re: ruby glass with clear glass ball foot - ID + Anchor Hocking Boopie
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »
Where do I find the czech glass review archive?

Offline OxfordElla

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »
I'm doing this from my phone-  where I don't have the link- but I know that if you go to the 20th Century Glass website (the bolton based one - not Mr Nigel Benson alas) encyclopedia section and look through various czech companies you will find the link on the "useful" websites section at the bottom - be prepared to set a tent up- as you will be in there for some time (food and drink to the side of the computer ready . . .) have fun!

Offline OxfordElla

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »
hi christine - thanks for help on Edward Moore - I would love to put my pics on the site but get a message saying that the files are too big - they are good quality for detail- and I don't want to take less detailed ones - are the gallery postings on the site restricted by size? - as I am more than happy to start a ref. place for future- best wishes- eleanor

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »
The attachment size is limited to 125kb max per picture. Four pictures per reply. Resize a high-res pic so that the longest dimension is 700 pixels and that should work. Low res photos just blow up into big fuzzy messes.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand