No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iittala Festivo  (Read 3141 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Iittala Festivo
« on: November 08, 2011, 03:44:57 PM »
Two Iittala Festivo Candlesticks by Timo Sarpaneva - the one on the right is labelled and marked TS on base and is more naturally moulded - the one on left is more ridgidly moulded and not marked.

I am guessing this shows the age difference in the two pieces - Any ideas - I also have one small single tier piece which is also unmarked.

Thanks Adam

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Iittala Festivo
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 11:19:36 AM »
You probably know this but in case you do not.  The two middle rings of a genuine TS candlestick are NOT round - they are slightly lenticular(lens shaped).  If you left hand one has round rings it is definitely a copy.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »
The left hand one has round rings so it is not genuine - the right hand one has as you say slightly oval rings and is etched to base and has label.

I did not know this - thanks for pointing it out - I will be contacting the seller about the not genuine ones I have been sold - it is very difficult to ask these questions on eBay as the seller does not always know or I don't.

Ah well - that one will go with the not genuine Riihimaen piece I bought recently.

Adam

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 12:32:26 PM »
I only learned that recently myself but it is such a simple - distinctive difference.   :thup:

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 07:03:30 PM »
I can see in the photo that the rings on the left hand candlestick are not round. These sticks are not always signed, like a lot of Timo Sarpaneva's designs, can't say I have ever figured out why some are and some are not.

I have seen two styles of copies, one is fairly faithful to the original but the texture is not as well defined the second is just a vague approximation.

John

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
It might interest you to know the festivo candlestick was cast in a wooden mold which enhances it's uniqueness as the mold was burnt away  :thup:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »
They both look ok to me.   :thup:

I am not a man

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:44:09 AM »
I am now back home and having checked the pieces they all seem genuine - I also contacted seller who assured me they were.

I don't know why some were not signed TS.

The difference I am seeing must be due to wooden mould burning away making some less formed.

Thanks Adam

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 07:53:28 AM »
The lack of signature maybe down to date of manufacture.

Offline EijaSusanna

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
Kisslikeether is right. Older ones can be signed. I have all sizes and four of them are signed, but all of them are certainly genuine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand