No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying ? ID = U.S. Glass "Panelled Dogwood"  (Read 6341 times)

Offline BIG-BRO

• Members
Help identifying ? ID = U.S. Glass "Panelled Dogwood"
« on: March 05, 2006, 12:54:17 AM »
New to the field of glass, but starting to sort out boxes of stuff from my grandparents that I have had packed away.   What manufacturer or "style" of glass would this bowl be ?   The silverplate (or formerly silverplated) holder says Rogers 1901, but no marking on the glass.

Thanks !

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paultallo/album?.dir=ff1d&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/paultallo/my_photos

Mod: The image link above is broken. If you own the piece and still have a photograph, please contact a moderator so that we can restore the image to the thread.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Help identifying ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 10:37:57 AM »
Is there any initial/s? There were several Rogers based in the Sheffield region that are known for silverplate - but they would only have made the holder. Can you add closer pics of the glass and its underside.

Connie

Help identifying ?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 10:56:31 AM »
The glass looks like EAPG - Early American Pattern Glass.  The pattern is of a wild rose or Floradora rose.

Does the bowl come out of the frame?  If so, can you take a picture of just the bowl and a close-up of the pattern, especially of any other motif beside the large wild rose.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Help identifying ?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 11:08:57 AM »
It is EAPG and the pattern is Panelled Dogwood, made by U.S. Glass after 1908. An almost identical one is shown in Heacock's book U. S. Glass from A to Z. I say almost identical, the silver frame is slightly different. Terry

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Help identifying ?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 11:18:59 AM »
There are onlt two US based Rogers that I know of in that period and neither would have made such a frame. Chances are that the glass was imported to UK by the finishers.

But a date of 1901 for the frame does not match up with 1908 or later for the glass. But it could just be a coding that looks like a year date.

Connie

Help identifying ?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 11:29:11 AM »
That is really interesting, Terry.  I was looking in McCain's for the pattern.

Dogwood is not even listed - at least not the US Glass Dogwood you quoted.
   :?

Correction:  My turn for a DUH early in the morning (need more coffee).

Panelled Dogwood is in McCain's and on the bottom of the same page I was looking at earlier  :roll:

I concur with Terry.  It is U.S. Glass Panelled Dogwood in emerald green.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Help identifying ?
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 11:52:11 AM »
When looking for Rogers companies in the US, another one showed up in Canada but as I found the one I was looking for in US I did not try and check it out further. The two US ones were one involved in Railway engineering and the other, my interest, H A Rogers dealt in engineering supplies and wound up circa 1926.

Connie

Help identifying ?
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 12:07:45 PM »

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Help identifying ?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 12:17:50 PM »
Connie, don't feel bad. I almost missed it in McCain as well. Third cup of coffee helped.
Frank, I don't know much about Silver or silverplate, but I think the 1901 would have been the year the pattern of this holder was introduced. We find silverplate flatware marked 1847 Rogers 1901 or 1904 and then the pattern name, such as Avon. Its my understanding that the 1901 or 1904 is when that particular pattern was introduced and not the actual year of manufacture.  Could be wrong on this of course, but glass is my thing. It all gets rather confusing. Terry

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Help identifying ?
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 02:05:48 PM »
Quote from: "glasswizard"
It all gets rather confusing. Terry

:?

Well done folks!