No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Question about signature on Orrefors Vase  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Question about signature on Orrefors Vase
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:47:36 PM »
I have an Orrefors vase which is signed on the bottom "Orrefors Sven Palmqvist" then some numbers and letters that are hard to make out... a backwards looking 2 then 1RP

Anyhoo, this is the first time I've seen Sven Palmqvists full name on the bottom of a piece, generally it's just the P in the date code that gives it away that he is the designer, so I just wanted to check and see if the full name meant anything specific or not.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Question about signature on Orrefors Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 10:37:20 PM »
It is slightly unusual for the full name to be there, but no special significance.  This is a fairly standard piece.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »
Thanks!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 02:28:48 AM »
The engraving is too amateurish for it to be real.  Attached is photo of an EA vase signature.  EA editions were from 2 to 5 copies only - mine is Copy #3 I assume.  As you can see only the surname is used - no mention of Sven.  I suggest someone has had a go at "improving" its value with an engraving tool.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 07:38:17 AM »
Ross,

I'm not trying to start a debate, just to understand more fully what you're suggesting. You say that it's not a limited edition vase, an EA edition.  What is an EA edition and who's claiming it is an EA edition?

It does seem like an Orrefors piece, the subject matter, the form, the label. Or do you think it's not by Orrefors either?

David

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
David, my piece is a very limited edition.  If you look at my picture you will see "Orrefors  Palmquist 3399  C3  EA"

Orrefors = Maker

Palmqvist = Sven Palmqvist = Designer   Only written as a full surname for selected ranges - if a piece is Unique ie. one off, EA (Epreuve d'Artiste) limit of 5 pieces, Gallery - 15 to 60 pieces, & Studio - 15 to 60 pieces.

3399 = pattern number

C3 = Copy #3 I assume

EA = see above

If you wish to see the vase look in Duncan's book on Orrefors at the bottom of page 160 - it was made in 1954.

The point I am making is that only the surname appears, and there is no sign of any of the other marks for limited editions.  Note also the neat writing on my vase - typical Orrefors.  Hence my suspicion this not the real thing.  Also remember thatthe large companies provided blanks for others to engrave.  Lots of these do not seem to mark but preferred a paper label.  If they were to have Sven Palmquist engraved on - they just might sell for more!  >:D

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »
I understand what you are saying about your piece, Ross. But Cat's piece is P 2686 , a production piece that was made for many years.  There were some anomaly pieces that were not limited editions where the name was written in full.  

I'm not sure where the information about your piece comes from. My interpretation of the the markings on the bottom of yours is that it is production number 3399 (a vase with what looks like a net or wires engraved on it 21 cm tall) designed by Palmqvist in 1955 (C3 is the code for that) and engraved by Ernst Aberg (his code is EA).

David

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
The things you learn when you ask an itty bitty question  :clap:

I had no idea about the limited EA pieces.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 09:17:52 PM »
Cat, from what David has written, EA does not refer to a limited edition piece, but are the initials of the engraver. :usd:

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »
Yup I'm following that... Just re-read my post and realised I should have had an "and" in there lol
Thanks for clarifying though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand