No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: JOBLING ...SOMETHING OF A MYSTERY  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Morgan48

• Members
JOBLING ...SOMETHING OF A MYSTERY
« on: November 12, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »

Good evening fellow g.m.berrs

The following ebay item   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380381903446?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&autorefresh=true

has just finished at an astonishing £310...and yet this very same item from the same seller was sold only 2 weeks ago for approx £20 to £30...cant quite remember exactly how much but obviously amazingly different than this current transaction. Is there something the original buyer missed out on here or has the current buyer payed a very astonishing premium... :-[.. anyone any ideas...!!!!????

Hope all are well

Gareth

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: JOBLING ...SOMETHING OF A MYSTERY
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »
Looking at the bids I'd guess that the person who bid £260.30 just after the person who bid £26.00 has an extra zero in and perhaps intended to bid £26.30 or £26.03, but without being able to see the bidders' id's it's hard to know why the price went so high.

If pic 3 is intended to show a uranium glow I'd suspect this isn't a uranium piece... looks more like the feint manganese glow?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: JOBLING ...SOMETHING OF A MYSTERY
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:40:50 AM »
£310 is a crazy price; maybe you'd get that for an opalique, jet or pearl example, but standard colours like green usually fetch in the £30-£50 range on ebay. She's a later version too, which tend to fetch a little less than the earlier flowery examples. I also believe the black base isn't original. The fact that the same item (same photos and chipped in the same place) has been listed again after apparently having been sold, and that it's a private listing makes me very suspicious. The bid pattern of 40, 50, 60, 80, 100 looks odd too, and when was the last time you saw an auction where the bids were all round numbers with no odd pence?

While I can't say exactly what has happened in this case, I have noticed that since ebay started disguising bidder's identities, items often 'sell', then appear again several days/ weeks later from the same seller. It seems shill bidding is a more common occurrence than ebay would like to admit.

The earlier listing can be seen here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380379516872

Re. the colour, I suspect pic. 3 is just a poor photo. The photos under natural light look the right shade for Jobling uranium glass, and I've thus far I've seen very little green Jobling art glass that diesn't glow.

Steven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand