No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby butter dish with elephant handle.  (Read 8986 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Sowerby butter dish with elephant handle.
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 06:18:18 AM »
Apologies, Pamela and Sue, for failing to read everything.   I hope you understand my enthusiasm.   ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline glasswipe

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
I started this thread hoping to get some information about the Sowerby butter dish with the elephant handle instead of the more common swan handle.After my enquiry got hijacked by others and was turned into a debate about elephant handled random fruit bowls and sugar basins.I am wondering why I bothered.REPLY to this comment not neccesary. >:(

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 04:13:03 PM »
I'm not sure what else you want. Bernard confirmed it was Sowerby on 12 December 2011 and that it has the same pattern number as the other elephant items... Almost no-one else has ever seen it

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 06:16:06 PM »
glasswipe — on November 11 2011 all we knew about the 2614 elephant range by Sowerby was that it comprised:

• A small three-piece flower set with a footed bowl,
  • The bowl from this set almost certainly either sold on its own and/or as a 1+6 fruit set with the large bowl,
  • A large three-piece flower set with an unfooted bowl and a waisted plinth,
  • The bowl from this set almost certainly either sold on its own and/or as a 1+6 fruit set with the small bowls,
  • A sugar and cream,
  • A rare tray sold as a three piece set with the sugar and cream.
  • All had elements in common, were by the same brilliant designer or design team, and sculpted by the same mouldmaker.   We know that they all had the same pattern number as that's the way Sowerby always did it.   All the range was well known except for the tray.

You then amazed us with a completely unexpected new product in the 2614 range.   Fabulous.

... and we now have a photograph of the tray, completing the documentation of the newly expanded 2614 range.

We haven't strayed from the Sowerby 2614 range at all.   I'm left with admiration for Sowerby's designer(s) and the mouldmaker who cleverly combined elements of the elephant theme to suit practical products.   Your butter dish has been viewed 470 times at the time of writing without another being reported, confirming its status as a wonderful Sowerby rarity.

I'm sorry about your obvious distress, but I don't understand it, and I hope this explanation will go some way to help you see why this topic has developed the way it has.

Bernard Cavalot.
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline oyemicanto

• Members
    « Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
    Hi Glasswipe
    Loved the amber elephant butter dish....I myself this week found a green version of it.
    Unfortunately it isn't uranium but a stunning dish all the same.
    Great news that it was identified as Sowerby on here,congrats to all who gave input.
    Nige
    "Ive had a wonderful evening.....unfortunately this wasnt it!"  Groucho Marx

Offline Mosquito

• Members
      • 中国 (China)
      • Jobling Art Glass
    « Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 02:19:00 AM »
    Just realised I never got around to posting pics of my uranium glass 2614 plinth. Anyway, here it is - still haven't found a bowl to match though... :(

Offline Edenside#1

• Members
    • I'm new, please be gentle
      • Sowerby glass
      • UK
    « Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 12:05:48 AM »
    Hi, I know this thread is a few years old, but I'd realy like to have an image of this Elephant handled Butterdish and consent to use it with appropriate attribution in an article for a glass club newsletter. Is the item owned by Glasswipe?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand