No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sowerby butter dish with elephant handle.  (Read 8947 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Re: Sowerby butter dish with elephant handle.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 12:05:36 PM »
Hi Bernard.  I tried to find info on the butter dish and did several searches with varying key words and search engines but found nothing! How on earth did you manage to find 2614 pics? What is the obvious website?  Would love to find more info!  Many thanks.
Nancy

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
I had forgotten about the elephant-head handled bowls, probably because I personally never think of them as flower bowls, so got confused, and they don't come in uranium to my knowledge, so I've not examined them closely.

Scroll down Nancy (Bernard means pictures of the 2614 design)  https://20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/artdeco_glass/sowerby_glass/sowerbyglass_home.htm

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
Nancy — do an internet search on "Sowerby 2614" and you will be spoilt for choice.   I was thinking of ebay, where there's at least one.   Pamela shows a green one that might be uranium green — she doesn't say.

...   (Bernard means pictures of the 2614 design)   ...

Christine — I meant what I said — "It took me two minutes to find two 2614 pictures."   It may not be the best English, but it is clear and unambiguous.   That is appalling.   It's years since anyone has done that to me.   You can criticise me, my words, and my opinions as much as you like, whether justified or not, but don't ever presume to know what goes on in my mind.

Bernard C.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 01:29:36 PM »
I understood what you said, but Nancy didn't.

How on earth did you manage to find 2614 pics?

I was trying to explain to her, so your remark to me is unjustified in the context of Nancy's reply.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 01:41:38 PM »
and they don't come in uranium to my knowledge, so I've not examined them closely.

Until recently I'd have agreed with this observation; however, i do now believe the large 2614 bowl may have been made in uranium glass. Although I've never seen a uranium elephants bowl, I do have a matching 2614 plinth in uranium green. It's still in the UK at the moment, though I hope to be able to photograph it when I fly back around the end of the month. I have to say I was very surprised to see it - I don't tend to think of Sowerby making coloured plinths.  

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 02:01:48 PM »
I keep hoping... a small one would do.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »
Thanks for the info Bernard and apologies for misreading your message.

Thanks for the clarification Christine - my stupid mistake seems to have caused a bit of a muddle.  So sorry!

I have a terrible habit of 'scanning' rather than really reading.  Must try harder.  :-[
Nancy

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 12:51:55 AM »
OK, I don't have detailed knowledge about Sowerby designs, so stop reading now if you don't want to see an uneducated opinion/question.

When I read this post initially, the Sowerby Elephant handled bowl didn't even cross my mind - it was so different.

The swan and elephant butter dishes have a sleek, elegant, unfussy design, which I find hard to match up with the Sowerby elephant handled bowl.

The the bowl is quite a heavy, clumsy looking thing, with the handles modelled as elephant trunks.  Why are such different handle designs used?  One wouldn't put the butter dish and bowl together as part of the same design visually.  The only matching feature is the leaf pattern, which Bernard pointed out. 

Signed
Confused  :ac1:
Nancy

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 04:31:03 AM »
Just noticed Pamela's Rosalin (pink) 2614 sugar and cream set complete on its fabulous tray here.    Wow!   ... and in pink!   It's the first I've seen since I saw just the one 15 years or more ago, and it's certainly the first on the Internet.

Pamela — you were keeping very quiet about it.   Why?    It's mindblowing!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 06:59:31 AM »
Bernard, the answer is simple, I had forgotten Sue's wonderful images (scroll down to read her copyright notice   8)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand