No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czechoslovakian Art Deco frosted glass vase soaring birds ID = Libochovice  (Read 4942 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Does anyone know who the maker of this vase is please?
I've searched for a good while now and never been able to find any maker other than Czech glass vase.  I have searched the board in case there's been another but perhaps I'm not using the right key words  :-\ -
I'm curious to know so any info much appreciated, many thanks  :sun:
http://www.icollector.com/CZECH-ART-DECO-GLASS-VASE-FLYING-BIRDS-1721861_i7239320
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Czechoslovakian Art Deco frosted glass vase soaring birds
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 11:14:22 AM »
my best guess is Feigl and Morawetz/ Libochovice?
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:48:12 PM »
found it I think  - 1916 on Marcus's cd Libochovice (completely forgot I had the cd to look through ..doh!!) - Glassexport catalogue pre 1958.  Haven't seen it in more recent productions.  I'm guessing it is 1930's.
Would anyone know any more information please?  who designed it and years it was produced please?
Many thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 09:48:50 PM »
Does anyone know if there is any further information anywhere on the designs by Karel Zentner please?  I've looked at all the designs by him on the board but none are to do with this 'series' (I'm not sure it actually was a series, but they have a similar 'look' so that is my interpretation as it were) of vases.
I have found this thread where Marcus comments on Karel Zentner seemingly being practically an 'in-house' designer for Libochovice during the 20's and 30's.  There is no designer named on Marcus' CD with the book for this piece though.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,16265.msg96510.html#msg96510
Another question - if this vase appeared in the Glassexport catalogue Libochovice prior to 1958, does that indicate this vase was produced up until that period at least?  or is that catalogue an 'amalgam' of production of various dates up to that period?
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »
2nd Q. Yes.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 02:18:22 PM »
thanks  :) just to ensure I'm not being entirely stupid  ;D, you meant 'yes, the catalogue  Glassexport Libochovice prior to 1958 is an amalgam of production of various dates up to 1958'?
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »
Catalogue of 1958  are the patterns offered for sale in 1958. Production would represent actual sales, but anything in that catalogue could have been produced in that and some subsequent years. Only production records could say what was produced.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »
I've found another reference to the date (of design?) of this vase whilst searching the Scotlands Glass site.  The dates mentioned here are 1937-1939 - source: Figurines in Crystal - Mary Pelt - page 21
http://www.debook.com/animal/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=30
m

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 09:24:12 PM »
Interesting topic i own this vase, I purchased it one day off ebay on a whim when i was off work!!
Afterwards i felt i may have bought a copy but this information makes my stomach feel a l :rah:ittle better!!!
hahaha thanks

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
I don't believe there are copies.  However, there are some new Czech frosted vases out there in quite significant numbers at the moment, in different pastel colours and black I think, with flying birds on them (also in perfume bottle shape as well).. they are not the same as this vase though.
It's an absolutely gorgeous vase.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand