No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed identifying this Vase  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Bluepeter

• Members
Help needed identifying this Vase
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
Hi bought this vase recently and it's driving me mad trying to findout if it's Seguso or not. It's certainly a very good quality hand made piece of tripple cased glass, Oval in shape faceted on teo sides, The bottom is diamond or vibro engraved but is quite illegable (picture of sig attached is poor as I don't have a macro lens to get a cloe up) but it something Murano (could be the 70's Seguso sig i've seen in books but it's by no means clear) also  has 3 other words engraved after the makers sig which I also can't decypher.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69789420@N04/6343138271/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69789420@N04/6343138387/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Help needed identifying this Vase
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »
Hi Bluepeter   :hi: and Welcome

Does your camera have a little flower on it?  As that is for close-up shots (macro)? Just wondering as I myself did not know my camera had a close up thing either, till the members here on the board told me to look for the little flower.  It might be on your camera, and you just did not notice it.  Either that or take a clear pic from a bit of distance, and then you can *crop* in the pic to get just the signature shot.

Let me know if you have that flower symbol on your camera, as I think they all do.  Why they use a Flower Symbol to mean Close-up, is kinda strange??   That is why it missed.  Lord, knows -- I missed the flower symbol too on my camers LOL

Again Welcome.  Nice piece of Glass......is looking right I think, but the Signature is needed.
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Bluepeter

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:50:48 AM »
Hi Bluepeter   :hi: and Welcome

Does your camera have a little flower on it?  As that is for close-up shots (macro)? Just wondering as I myself did not know my camera had a close up thing either, till the members here on the board told me to look for the little flower.  It might be on your camera, and you just did not notice it.  Either that or take a clear pic from a bit of distance, and then you can *crop* in the pic to get just the signature shot.

Let me know if you have that flower symbol on your camera, as I think they all do.  Why they use a Flower Symbol to mean Close-up, is kinda strange??   That is why it missed.  Lord, knows -- I missed the flower symbol too on my camers LOL

Again Welcome.  Nice piece of Glass......is looking right I think, but the Signature is needed.

Thanks for that advice, I'll give it a go when I get home tonight and see if I can get a decent shot of the signatures.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 06:01:33 PM »
Bluepeter - If a close-up photo is not possible, or if the signature still looks unclear, try dusting the signature area with talcum powder and gently wiping off the exccess to leave the signature highlighted in white. Might make it easier to see what it is.

Rose - The range of focus (or distance) symbols on modern camers is usually, "flower", "people" and "mountain" indicating focus distances for "very close", "nearby", and "far away". [These things ought to be explained in the camera manuals, too.]
KevinH

Offline Bluepeter

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:04:57 PM »
Right the advice for the close up on the camera worked :-)

Here's a clear photo of the signature and another one of the Vase itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69789420@N04/6344434387/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69789420@N04/6345183910/in/photostream/

Thanks for all the help so far

Pete

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 12:34:38 AM »
To be honest, I think we have a better chance of winning the lotto than decyphering that signature!!!  :24:

Although, that is definitely a quality piece of sommerso glass. The blue with the second layer (a blue/green) down to the green layer really integrates well. I love that second layer!

I think you have a good find. Can't help with the ID though. My guess would be 60's.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 05:00:35 AM »
Have to agree with Kane - I used to think people signing pwts were bad - but that is HORRIBLE  :spls:

I too really like the vase.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »
Hi looking at the photo's is it ground on its side or is that another piece? Excellent workmanship and the signature looks like it was applied by someone who knows how to use a dremel, many you see are so shaky you know they only pick the machine up once in a blue moon.

It will be very difficult to id unless the signature is genuine and someone has seen it before. ???? Is the signature upside down.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »

Looks like a Signature -- then something else after that.

Can you post more pics of that...and the other words too.  Take some that way, then try to dust with some talc powder (rub it) to see if that brings out some of the words better....and do post these too for us to see.  Sometimes IF we can make out one word that makes a big difference....and their looks to be a few words there.

:X: :X:  or might they be upside down like ardy said ???  Might it be possible??  So more pics please...
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:09:43 PM »
did a bit of work on the image but still no go. Zoomed right into it and nothing I could recognise. This is too hard for me.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand