No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Toso?  (Read 3982 times)

Offline LotsaStuff

• Members
Is this Toso?
« on: November 14, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »
This paperweight was consigned to me without a tag. In the box with it was a piece of paper that said "Saint Louis Paperweight" written in old handwriting. I've been doing quite a bit of research, and the style doesn't match anything by Saint Louis. It does, however, match some of the known examples of Toso. The orange flowers with the yellow centers, in particular. Any ideas?

******* Update******

I just got ahold of the lady that consigned it- her mother is from St. Louis. The scrap of paper didn't mean anything apparently.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Is this Toso?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:43:48 AM »
I have a picture of one like it that has the Toso FT label. The picture is not mine, so I can't post it. The one in my pictures has denser filaments, but is otherwise just about the same. I emailed the pictures to you so you can compare.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:51:48 AM »
I have to change what I thought after looking more carefully at your pwt and the picture. Your flowers do not have stems. Do you think that yours may be a copy of the Toso design?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline LotsaStuff

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 03:38:39 AM »
I found a picture of one that looks just like this one on google images, with the label intact. The flowers didnt have stems either. I emailed pics of mine to a glass appraiser this afternoon, and he replied that he believes it to be original. I only paid for an ID, not an appraisal. Any idea what things like this are worth?

Offline LotsaStuff

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 03:40:58 AM »
To futher confuse me, here is a picture of one I found on ebay that has the same, stemless flowers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venetian-Murano-glass-Fratelli-Toso-Paperweight-signed-/190391956192?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c543eb2e0

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 03:58:11 AM »
Lotsastuff, the pwt is not worth much, I'm sorry to say. I'm glad you found all the other pictures. I have one pwt that has daisies similar to yours, but it is a millefiori pwt. I think there is a good chance that yours is FT. They often made pwts that were similar to each other, but slightly different. How large is your pwt? The more complex ones look to be the type that are around 3" (7.6 cm) in diameter.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline LotsaStuff

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 04:04:02 AM »
I would say it's roughly 3" give or take. The ones I've found on ebay are priced $200 - $900. Of course, the owner of this item has seen this fact and is insisting on at least $250. I'll do as she asks, although it will likely sit around for a looooong time. Thanks again!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 04:07:10 AM »
The price on the one on eBay gave me a good laugh. To tell the truth, if I had a pwt like yours in my store, I would feel lucky if someone paid me $40 for it. This is not speaking badly of it. It is just a tough FT pwt market out there right now. Other people may differ in their opinion, so it would be good to hear what others have to say.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 06:08:48 AM »
I would say it's roughly 3" give or take. The ones I've found on ebay are priced $200 - $900. Of course, the owner of this item has seen this fact and is insisting on at least $250. I'll do as she asks, although it will likely sit around for a looooong time. Thanks again!

I think she is being greedy there!  :o :thud:

:thup: ---> Anita word is Good on the value, and Anita knows the real Market. 

I would walk away from that deal , and find yourself another FT-PW down the road, IMHO

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand