Author Topic: Photographing Black Glass  (Read 889 times)

Offline Tabatha

• Members
Photographing Black Glass
« on: March 05, 2006, 02:17:24 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know the best way of photographing my black glass bottle. I have tried just about everywhere, but its so reflective they are all turning out horrid.

I was trying to take piccys of the bottle from each angle out in the daylight, this is the best I can do:  :cry: Do you think they will be ok like this?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/bottle3.jpg

Also, are these big air bubbles?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/bubbles.jpg

Thanks, Sarah  :cry:

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 03:57:31 AM »
Hi Sarah, do you have an area where you are out in the daylight but not directly in the sun, somewhere like a verandah or under the shade of a tree. I find I get my best pics, taking them on our  verandah in the mornings, where the sun does not directly shine onto the item and no flash.
I have been told, but have never used this method, to rub vaseline on reflective items you want to photograph.
Julie  :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 06:57:41 AM »
Vaseline can be hard to control, there are special matting sprays you can buy or what is often used is paste-up spray from graphics suppliers. The latter is a very gentle adhesive so tends to pick up any dust in the air, wipes off easily and does not harm paper. A circular polarising filter also works well.
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Search
eBay.com
eBay.co.uk

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum
Enter
key words
to search
Amazon.com