No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: DUR-X GLASS FRUIT and CAKE KNIFE  (Read 20412 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
DUR-X GLASS FRUIT and CAKE KNIFE
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 11:28:54 AM »
Cheri & Pamela — That's very interesting.   Your knife has the trade mark DUR–X on the knife, just below the patent number.   Mine has no mention of the word DUR–X anywhere, not on the knife, the printed tissue, or the box.

I think this may be another example of products or their packaging being changed to suit different marketplaces.   Like Lillicrap's Hone, but for a rather different reason.

It would have been impossible to promote a razor-sharp knife in Britain, the Commonwealth, and possibly throughout Europe with the brand name DUR–X, as DUREX was and is our most famous brand of contraceptive condom!   I believe that in the early days of London Rubber Industries, Durex was used for many of their products, indeed a colleague recalled a large tin he had labelled DUREX SELF ADHESIVE TAPE, another to set your imagination going and make your eyes water, but with the successful marketing of their condoms, they restricted its use to just this one range.

And that's all I am saying on this subject.   As you will appreciate, I wrote this very carefully.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 11:31:48 AM »
Quote from: "Bernard C"
It would have been impossible to promote a razor-sharp knife in Britain, the Commonwealth, and possibly throughout Europe with the brand name DUR–X, as DUREX

Unless of course the knife was promoted as a contraceptive device for potential eunuchs :roll:

OK I am going.... :oops:

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 12:13:25 PM »
On the subject of avoiding the word Durex, I would welcome more information on the mainland European and Canadian markets.

Canada has always struck me as being quite fascinating in a marketing sense, as it has a complex mix of European and American cultures.   If I was going to test market a product anywhere, Canada would have to be one of my favoured locations.   Or doesn't it work like that?

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand