No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: American cut & wheel engraved vase. Possibly Tuthill.  (Read 464 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dorian_graye

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 413
American cut & wheel engraved vase. Possibly Tuthill.
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »
J. Michael Pearson gives an attribution to Tuthill in the same, but larger form in his book Encyclopedia of American Cut & Engraved Glass, (1880-1917), Vol. 1 or 3.  I guess it's crystal.  It's real pretty.

















Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com


Offline Leni

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 2274
Re: American cut & wheel engraved vase. Possibly Tuthill.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 01:40:44 PM »
I love this vase!  It looks really beautifully cut!  I wish you could make the pics a little clearer - maybe 'tweak' the contrast, or take photos against a black background, which I find is better for cut and engraved glass  ;)

You've been finding some very nice glass lately, Dorian  :hiclp:  :mrgreen:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com


Offline dorian_graye

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 413
Re: American cut & wheel engraved vase. Possibly Tuthill.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
Actually, I first tried taking photos against a black background and they looked worse.  I'm not really sure how many people in the forum have an interest in this period of glass, but I would love to get an ID on this one.  I actually don't look at this type of glass very often, but I found it at a charity shop and it stopped me in my tracks.  It seemed so different from other pieces I've seen from the era.  And, it seemed like a very good price.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com


Offline Ohio

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 1596
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: American cut & wheel engraved vase. Possibly Tuthill.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »
The problem with Tuthill is they were a small cutting operation that used blanks from other manufacturers, 95% from the Corning area & the other 5% from Dorflinger & Pairpoint. Personally I am skeptical thats Tuthill as the cutting is not close in detail (too simplistic) for what is normally seen of their work & the problem occurs because it may be a blank they used, but this one may have been cut by a company that supplied them with blanks. Since you live close to a library the best reference by far IMO for this type of glass is "The Complete Cut & Engraved Glass of Corning" by Estelle Sinclaire Farrar & Jane Shadel Spillman. Attached is an example of Tuthill intaglio cutting that you'll find approx. 90% of the time on their work.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com


Offline glassobsessed

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 5618
  • Gender: Male
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: American cut & wheel engraved vase. Possibly Tuthill.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:06:24 PM »
In relation to taking photos of clear/cut glass have a look at the three examples here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,44402.msg247442.html#msg247442 and the following post from KevinH.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com


Offline dorian_graye

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 413
Re: American cut & wheel engraved vase. Possibly Tuthill.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »
I just checked my library's catalog and they have the book!  I will report back in the next few days and see what I can come up with.  Thanks for the reference!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com


Offline Ohio

  • Members
  • **
  • Posts: 1596
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: American cut & wheel engraved vase. Possibly Tuthill.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 11:52:41 PM »
Since you will be at the library...see if they have "Identifying American Brilliant Cut Glass" by Bill Boggess. Its decent & you'll see alot of examples from different companies. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com


 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Look for glass on
ebay.co.uk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Look for glass on
ebay.com (us)
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum


This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand