No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaen Pironki  (Read 2799 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Riihimaen Pironki
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
Hi

I am keen on the following listing - Riihimaen Pironki Vase - It's just I have been stung with some of these rarer Riihimaen items before so I am asking if it is right? I am not aware of Italian copies of this and it is fully cased, but just in case.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300621558498?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks Adam

Offline px

• Members
Re: Riihimaen Pironki
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »
Looks good to me alright.

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 11:53:26 PM »
Don't worry Adam, the Italian copies are all decanters, not vases.

Offline EijaSusanna

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 09:59:17 PM »
Looks good to me too. The correct name is Piironki, it is Finnish (of course) and means a chest of drawers :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
Hi EijaSusanna and welcome to the board  :sun:
Thank you for your extra information and interpretation - I often wonder what the interpretation is of the vase names.
m

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »
here are the rest of the Country House (Pirtti) Series to the best of my knowledge...

Piironki - Chest of drawers
Aurinkopullo - Sun bottle
Aitanlukko  - Granary barn lock
Kaapikello - Grandfather  clock
Ahkeraliisa - Busy Lizzy
Emma

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
Yes, Robert you are right in a way, at least,  because the mentioned items have all been illustrated on a sales box that has the name of the series "Vanha Kartano" printed on it. The box also has a background picture of a large Country House.

I believe there is some fluctuation and do not know who really knows the actual definition what belonged to "Vanha Kartano" and/or/also called "Pirtti" series. (by the way "Pirtti" means rather a small log house or a "living room" of a smaller farm house, whilst "Kartano" means a large wealthy Country manor. "Vanha" is "Old" in Finnish)

There is also a series somewhere called "Matin matka" (Matti's journey) with the items "Isoäiti" (grandmother), "Isoisä" (Grandfather), Pikku-Matti (Little Matti), "Maaherra" (Gorvernor) and "Ahkeraliisa" (BusyLizzy)  (there's an other thread somewhere of these)

In the 100 year exhibition of Riihimäen Lasi the glass museum showcased Piironki, Isoäiti, Maaherra and Pikku-Matti with a label header "Vanha Kartano" which really confuses this all. :)

Somewhere even "Pala" is included in these series...

Anyhow, we know Helena Tynell designed these around the same period of time.

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 12:16:06 PM »
Hi there

Yes, it's all very confusing  :-\

however, here is a picture of that box.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum